You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-21 16:35:39

miller0521

Minimal KDE

I am wondering how I can get a minimal KDE install such as I can with Debian... I try to make it leave out things such as all those multimedia apps and graphic applications, but it seems to install them anywyas based on dependencies. Or are the packages not as split in Arch as they are in Debian?

#2 2006-08-21 16:38:15

fk

Re: Minimal KDE

Have you try kdebase?

Have you tried to turn it off and on again?

#3 2006-08-21 17:09:10

detto

and just generally to all "bloat haters" lol  if u have the hdd space easily available its just a matter of deleting menu entries or creating "from-scratch-menu", cause iirc the best/most kde functiones u get is through installing whole group, or most of them (like graphics,multimedia(for mixer for example)).
just my 2c

cheers,
detto

#4 2006-08-21 20:41:02

mucknert

@detto:
And in what way is your post relevant to the OP? If you want to adress all "bloat-haters" then open another thread and keep this one clean for the people that just want to give an answer to the question of the original author.

@miller0521:
Just like fk pointed out, kdebase is the way to go.

pacman -Sy kdebase

should pull just the core of KDE and its dependencies. But if you are asking for seperate packages of, for example, kopete or kmail then I must disappoint you. The Arch packages are built from the upstream-tarballs meaning that the whole clutter of applications is packaged. Some argue that this is a good thing, others don't.

Todays mistakes are tomorrows catastrophes.

#5 2006-08-22 00:21:17

miller0521

mucknert wrote:

@detto:
And in what way is your post relevant to the OP? If you want to adress all "bloat-haters" then open another thread and keep this one clean for the people that just want to give an answer to the question of the original author.

@miller0521:
Just like fk pointed out, kdebase is the way to go.

pacman -Sy kdebase

should pull just the core of KDE and its dependencies. But if you are asking for seperate packages of, for example, kopete or kmail then I must disappoint you. The Arch packages are built from the upstream-tarballs meaning that the whole clutter of applications is packaged. Some argue that this is a good thing, others don't.

The kdebase is what I was looking for, I udnerstand that they are seperated, and as you pointed out, one can either for or against splitting the packages. I really like this distro, I am having a hard time deciding between using this one or Debian... can't quite figure out which is best for me!

#6 2006-08-22 00:38:02

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

mucknert wrote:

But if you are asking for seperate packages of, for example, kopete or kmail then I must disappoint you.

Search the forums, somebody had done some investigating into hosting a separate KDE repo, but I don't know if it happened. There might be some PKGBUILDs floating around though.

Dusty

#7 2006-08-22 01:17:00

funkyou
Website

Dusty wrote:
mucknert wrote:

But if you are asking for seperate packages of, for example, kopete or kmail then I must disappoint you.

Search the forums, somebody had done some investigating into hosting a separate KDE repo, but I don't know if it happened. There might be some PKGBUILDs floating around though.

Dusty

Maybe you mean this: KDE-mod

want a modular and tweaked KDE for arch? try kdemod

#8 2006-08-22 01:49:16

scarecrow

...and the latest kopete is available from AUR as standalone... big_smile

Microshaft delenda est

#9 2006-08-22 20:34:31

detto

mucknert wrote:

@detto:

PLEASE dont take my posts too serious, ... NEVER lol lol ... no seriously, i just wanted to give something like and advice to him, to maybe try out if it really would be THAT dam bad for him to install more :S
also marked this just as a "2ct post" so,...dont understand ur problem right now roll

cheers,
detto

Board footer