You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-16 07:51:48

teunissenstefan

[SOLVED] VirtualBox: "1908 Kernel driver is not installed"

I'm getting the error that the "kernel is not installed". I've installed tried installing virtualbox, and both virtualbox-host-dkms and virtualbox-host-modules-arch with both pacman and yay.
modprobe vboxdrv
returns: modprobe: FATAL: Module vboxdrv not found in directory /lib/modules/4.14.81-1-lts
The linux-lts-headers ARE installed. I've ofcourse also tried restarting. I'm basically at the point where I can't find any new answers online and I need this for my internship which starts Monday so help would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by teunissenstefan (2019-01-17 09:12:22)

#2 2019-01-16 08:17:23

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [SOLVED] VirtualBox: "1908 Kernel driver is not installed"

Reboot.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2019-01-16 08:33:18

teunissenstefan

I'm 100% sure you didn't read my post. I fixed it however by doing pacman -Syu. Weird since I had already done that recently after installing VirtualBox.

Question for you: Do you just look at the title and think of an answer based off that?

Last edited by teunissenstefan (2019-01-16 08:34:44)

#4 2019-01-16 15:05:00

ewaller
Administrator

teunissenstefan wrote:

I'm 100% sure you didn't read my post. I fixed it however by doing pacman -Syu. Weird since I had already done that recently after installing VirtualBox.

I just read it.  Thrice.  I cannot imagine a mechanism whereby running pacman -Syu  might fix that.  Further, I cannot think of where you might have seen the message "kernel is not installed"; perhaps some more context would be helpful.  Regardless, the answer given was well thought out -- the kernel modprobe output is highly indicative that the wrong (older) kernel was running and could no longer find its modules.  Rebooting is an obvious first step.

Question for you: Do you just look at the title and think of an answer based off that?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … ther_users
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … _the_staff
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … esponsible

Please tread carefully.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2019-01-16 21:18:12

teunissenstefan

ewaller wrote:

I cannot imagine a mechanism whereby running pacman -Syu  might fix that.

Me neither, but it did.

ewaller wrote:

Rebooting is an obvious first step.

Which is why I said in my post that I already did that and the first and only thing he tells me to do it to 'Reboot'. Doesn't seem very friendly to me.

ewaller wrote:
teunissenstefan wrote:

Please tread carefully.

This was an honest question. I'm assuming he only reads the title and then replies because I said in my post I already did that

#6 2019-01-16 21:27:15

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

teunissenstefan wrote:

This was an honest question. I'm assuming he only reads the title and then replies because I said in my post I already did that

I did not read "restarting" as "rebooting", the latter has a specific meaning, the former a generic one. Also, the error was that the module was not found in "directory /lib/modules/4.14.81-1-lts" which almost always mean that the directory does not exist because a newer one has replaced it.

#7 2019-01-16 21:36:26

teunissenstefan

jasonwryan wrote:
teunissenstefan wrote:

I did not read "restarting" as "rebooting", the latter has a specific meaning, the former a generic one. Also, the error was that the module was not found in "directory /lib/modules/4.14.81-1-lts" which almost always mean that the directory does not exist because a newer one has replaced it.

Maybe I should've said rebooting instead of restarting, you're right. But imo just saying 'Reboot.' doesn't seem too friendly if I was asked. And if you knew what the error meant why didn't you say it before? Maybe we could've worked from there. No worries as it's now fixed, but still. Thanks for responding.

#8 2019-01-16 22:15:17

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

No problem. Please remember to mark your thread as [Solved] by editing your first post and prepending it to the title.

Board footer