You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-18 14:50:44

muzikman

Xorg-Xinit Package Necessary? [Solved]

Greetings,

When I installed Arch, I bypassed the xorg-xinit package and everything worked fine. I am assuming this package is optional? I read the WIKI page on it but it didn't tell me if it was mandatory.

If it is optional, why should I install it?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Last edited by muzikman (2019-01-18 15:59:29)

#2 2019-01-18 15:04:44

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Xorg-Xinit Package Necessary? [Solved]

What do you mean you "bypassed" it?  It is not part of a base install, nor is it anywhere in the installation process.  If you want xinit, you need to install xorg-xinit; if not, don't.  Just like if you want firefox, you need to install firefox; if not, don't.

Are you running a graphical session?  Is it X11?  Are you using a display manager?

There are countless tools you can use to configure your system the way you want, xinit is just one of them.

Last edited by Trilby (2019-01-18 15:05:38)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2019-01-18 15:14:11

Awebb

You install a package when you need one of the files from the package. Go to the package page (top navigation bar), search for the package and look what's going on with it.

#4 2019-01-18 15:59:11

muzikman

Well, installed Arch from scratch with EFI. There were some minor caveats such as; The grub menu didn't include my Windows partition. I could boot to it by selecting it in my bios. So, I created a custom.cfg grub config and that fixed it. Then I had problems getting my wifi card to work. I resolved that. Then, I installed xorg and xorgserver as well as lightdm for Gnome. Some strange things happened trying to install Gnome and the extras. I could boot but some programs wouldn't run such as gnome-terminal. So, I thought it was because I didn't install xorg-xinit.

But I get it now. I decided to remove Gnome and installed lightdm-deepin-greeter and the DE. That worked a lot better. So, I do understand that it's a matter of preference. I guess I don't need xorg-init if I am running lightdm. I didn't' know that.

As a Linux newbie, it was extremely difficult to install. I still can''t get Gnome to run correctly. I will keep trying.

Thanks again,
Matt

#5 2019-01-18 16:01:25

muzikman

Just like when I was having difficulty getting my wifi running. I was running NetworkManager as well as NetCtl. Once I uninstalled Netctl and configured my wireless through NM, it worked fine.But if a person chooses to run Netctl then they don't need Network Manager.

#6 2019-01-18 16:03:01

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

arch wiki wrote:

The Xorg(1) command is usually not run directly, instead the X server is started with either a display manager or xinit.

Note the word "either" -- if you want to start X manually (with startx) you need xinit. If your login manager does not require xinit, you don't need it.

In addition, if no one has replied to your post before you want to add something, please use the Edit button to edit your post, rather than posting again.

#7 2019-01-18 16:04:17

muzikman

Yes, I saw that. But didn't' notice it at first because I was speed reading. My fault.

#8 2019-01-18 16:18:08

Slithery
Administrator

muzikman wrote:

Just like when I was having difficulty getting my wifi running. I was running NetworkManager as well as NetCtl. Once I uninstalled Netctl and configured my wireless through NM, it worked fine.But if a person chooses to run Netctl then they don't need Network Manager.

This is clearly stated in the wiki...
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ne … k_managers

No, it didn't "fix" anything. It just shifted the brokeness one space to the right. - jasonwryan
Closing -- for deletion; Banning -- for muppetry. - jasonwryan

aur - dotfiles

#9 2019-01-18 16:19:31

muzikman

I realize that now but the problem was, I followed a video tutorial on how to install Arch when I should have used the Arch WIKI. Live and learn.

#10 2019-01-18 16:23:27

2ManyDogs
Forum Fellow

muzikman wrote:

I realize that now but the problem was, I followed a video tutorial on how to install Arch when I should have used the Arch WIKI. Live and learn.

This is why video tutorials are not supported here.

#11 2019-01-18 16:28:20

muzikman

Gotcha! I will never stray from the WIKI again. I learned my lesson.

Board footer