You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-23 13:16:24

btw0

fsck destroy my data?

The other day, I wrongly typed "fsck" command, then things went wrong. after reboot, it just says it can't mount sda7 (sda7 is my / ), is there any way to get my data back? Thanks.

#2 2006-08-23 14:02:52

mucknert

Re: fsck destroy my data?

You should provide more information on that. What _exactly_ went wrong? Under what circumstances and why did you run fsck? Which Filesystem? And so on...

Todays mistakes are tomorrows catastrophes.

#3 2006-08-23 14:03:15

scarecrow

First of all you should be sure that your harrdisk is in good health.
And e2fsck/ reiserfsck should never be run on already mounted partitions (factly, they should be run manually only as a last resort).
You might try running a filesystem check from a liveCD, with your root partition unmounted and see if this corrects the problem.

Microshaft delenda est

#4 2006-08-27 07:34:03

btw0

mucknert wrote:

You should provide more information on that. What _exactly_ went wrong? Under what circumstances and why did you run fsck? Which Filesystem? And so on...

That day I was boring, I typed "fsck" for no reason, then all the files in that ext3 filesystem (mount as root) were effectively destroyed, then whatever command i typed, bash reported file can't be found. After reboot, system can't get into the shell. that's it. Later in a partition program, I see that partition show as unknown, even not as ext3 filesystem. It's so easy to destroy a filesystem. I have had a good lesson.

#5 2006-08-27 13:26:35

Gullible Jones

That is why you are warned not to run fsck on a mounted filesystem...

#6 2006-08-27 18:40:44

kakabaratruskia

Weird... the other day, I could not boot, as fsck reported an error on the disk. I fscked from a live cd, and it did not work. Then I mounted the partition and fscked ignoring the warning messages. After that everything started working fine again, my system booted again, and no files where lost.
Probably I was just lucky....

And where were all the sportsmen who always pulled you though?
They're all resting down in Cornwall
writing up their memoirs for a paper-back edition
of the Boy Scout Manual.

Board footer