You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-20 17:58:33

MaxReboBand

[SOLVED] AMDGPU Freesync on the new 5.0 Kernel rc2

I've installed the 5.0rc2 kernel and so far it's running great. I want to get Freesync running but I have no idea how to enable it (or if it is enabled by default).  I've looked for a few hours for a answer but all I could find was the directions for the proprietary pro driver. I followed those directions and ran DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --prop but the results for Displayport-0 don't list freesync as an option.

I'm using a Saphire RX580 and a LG freesync monitor which has freesync enabled in the settings so I should be good to go. Does anyone know how to enable it, or tell if it's enabled?

Thanks everybody.

Last edited by MaxReboBand (2019-01-22 17:22:59)

#2 2019-01-20 18:35:57

loqs

Re: [SOLVED] AMDGPU Freesync on the new 5.0 Kernel rc2

Welcome to the arch linux forums MaxReboBand.  See https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/ … 06802.html for other projects that need updating to support adaptive sync.

#3 2019-01-20 19:44:08

MaxReboBand

Hi loqs,

Thanks for the help.  I read that link a few times and I think I understand it pretty well. I also found an old forum post on installing patches to mesa: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=74109 and the wiki page for patching packages: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Patching_packages

I've read through them both a few times but I'm a little over my head. It seems like I want to install mesa from source and include the patch in the PKGBUILD, I think I can figure most of that out but I'm not sure where to find the actual patch. I think this is the right place: https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/?h=18.3 but I'm not sure.

Thanks again for pointing me on the right track.

#4 2019-01-20 20:14:40

Gigamo

There exists an (unofficial) mesa-git repo that provides an up-to-date git version of mesa for Arch. More information in this thread. I'm not sure if the necessary freesync patches are part of these, but it's possibly worth checking.

#6 2019-01-21 00:56:46

MaxReboBand

Hi Gigamo and loqs,

I think that's what I'm looking for! I read through the commits and it seems like freesync (or adaptive sync) is enabled by default, unless a program is on the blacklist, like KDE, compton, mpv, etc...  Am I right about that? I'm not sure if there is a way to tell, I usually don't notice tearing unless it's really bad.

I installed mesa-git without issue and tried The Long Dark and it does seem smoother, but that could just be my imagination.  I'll try some other games that I've noticed tearing in and check for how smooth they run.

When I run xrandr --prop it now has vrr_capable option as 1 so that's a good sign.

Thanks for all the help, I definitely wouldn't have gotten this far myself and I have a better understanding of git and patches than I did this morning. I think I still will try making my own mesa PKGBUILD with the patches as a learning experience.

#7 2019-01-22 17:19:57

MaxReboBand

So I did some more testing and my experience to get freesync running is to install the new kernel (5.0rc3 is working really well), Install mesa-git.  Then I added the line:

Option      "VariableRefresh" "true"

to my /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-amdgpu.conf file. (I'm not sure if that is necessary but I figured it can't hurt)

That enabled freesync on my pc and I tested it with The Long Dark, and Rocket League and they ran great but there is still some graphical glitches on occasion (half the screen turning white for a frame).  I tried Civ V but that wouldn't start but I also tried Monster Hunter World using Proton and that seemed to work as well.

Overall I am impressed with freesync and can't wait to see it become a standard part of gaming.  Thanks for the help getting it running, I learned alot and couldn't have done it without you.

Board footer