You are not logged in.

#1 2019-01-31 17:09:20

jared

[SOLVED] Replace geoclue2 with extra/geoclue? [Y/n]

I have just updated my mirrorlist and ran

pacman -Syyu

Now I am being asked if I want to replace geoclue2 with extra/geoclue. And to be honest, I have no idea.

Does anyone have experience, why I should chose one over the other? Geoclue2 has several dependencies on my system.

Last edited by jared (2019-01-31 18:39:32)

#2 2019-01-31 17:13:52

amish

Re: [SOLVED] Replace geoclue2 with extra/geoclue? [Y/n]

it appears to be just a rename of the package from geoclue2 to geoclue. because geoclue was dropped in 2016.

#3 2019-01-31 17:28:29

eschwartz
Fellow

Also don't use -Syyu, note the warning and discussion at: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mi … kage_lists

I'm perpetually bewildered by where people have even heard of the concept of using double -yy by default, considering it is an exotic special-purpose flag for special-purpose purposes, and is most certainly not nor ever intended as any sort of default experience.

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

#4 2019-01-31 17:34:05

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

pacman wrote:

[Y/n]

As a general rule, follow pacman's advice.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2019-01-31 17:37:16

fmscott1

#6 2019-01-31 18:37:56

twelveeighty

eschwartz wrote:

where people have even heard of the concept of using double -yy

I believe at some point, many years ago in the distant past, this was on the Wiki as either part of the installation guide and/or as instructions on what to do when switching mirrors.

#7 2019-01-31 18:45:54

jared

Thank you all for your useful comments.

eschwartz wrote:

... don't use -Syyu, note the warning and discussion at: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mi … kage_lists

That's exactly where I got the idea from. But even without the flag, I get this message.

jasonwryan wrote:
pacman wrote:

[Y/n]

As a general rule, follow pacman's advice.

D'uh. You are absolute right. Thanks for pointing that out.

fmscott1 wrote:

That's what I was looking for. Thank you.

#8 2019-01-31 19:02:49

eschwartz
Fellow

twelveeighty wrote:
eschwartz wrote:

where people have even heard of the concept of using double -yy

I believe at some point, many years ago in the distant past, this was on the Wiki as either part of the installation guide and/or as instructions on what to do when switching mirrors.

I've attempted to aggressively purge all knowledge of the double -yy everywhere in the wiki except for the mirrors discussion I linked, and there I've added extensive discussion of the caveats. I still don't know how this advice originally started spreading...

jared wrote:
eschwartz wrote:

... don't use -Syyu, note the warning and discussion at: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mi … kage_lists

That's exactly where I got the idea from. But even without the flag, I get this message.

Which part of my thoughtful warning in the wiki, made you think this was at all recommended?

This advice is very specifically not about switching mirrors -- it is about forcing a switched mirror to sync even when "the package list from the old mirror may not correspond to the package list of the new mirror, even though the dates of the lists may suggest that they do".

I would really like to know, since the intention in the wiki is to warn people away from doing this, so if people are reading the wiki and somehow instead they think they are being told they need to do it, then something has gone *dramatically* wrong.

Also, no, I never said  your use of -Syyu had anything to do with the geoclue2 message. It's an unrelated topic, since I saw you doing something that could badly break your system and I tried to warn you away from doing it.

Last edited by eschwartz (2019-01-31 19:08:39)

Managing AUR repos The Right Way -- aurpublish (now a standalone tool)

Board footer