You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-24 16:06:32

detto

to ALL the xfce-svn users!!

big_smile  big_smile

Finally i found a way to assign keyboard shortcuts the way i wanted them: with using the windows key! :twisted:  wink

since the newest update i stumbled across the file "~/.themes/username/xfwm4/keythemerc" which is generated when u create a new keyboard sheme with named as ur user in the window manger preferences (there where u cant set ur xfwm4 theme too).

changing those options with the gui in xfce4 doesnt work completely, ono windows key either sad
but editing the named file by hand givess u the ability to write something like this into it: "close_window_key=Super+Q" to close the window with windows key + Q . roll

this might not be that important to everybody but for me it was a long long awaited functionality that i dont wanted to miss, cause comin from pekwm and others im mostly a keyboard only guy and the windows key always was the easiest way to achieve also simple keyboard shortcuts for me, so this is also the reason for pointin u to it, hf! big_smile smile

cheers,
detto

#2 2006-08-24 16:30:37

stonecrest

Re: to ALL the xfce-svn users!!

You could always use the windows key in shortcuts in xfce-4.2 and above, you just have to rebind your windows key to be a non-modifier key. Just do something like:

xmodmap -e "keycode 115 = Menu"

where 115 is the value of the windows key as shown by xev, and Menu is the name of the key you want it to be for example. Then you can use the key for any shortcuts.

And I know you're excited, but the title of this thread is terrible.

I am a gated community.

#3 2006-08-24 16:35:21

detto

You could always use the windows key in shortcuts in xfce-4.2 and above, you just have to rebind your windows key to be a non-modifier key. Just do something like:

xmodmap -e "keycode 115 = Menu"

where 115 is the value of the windows key as shown by xev, and Menu is the name of the key you want it to be for example. Then you can use the key for any shortcuts.

i always tried that, but writng "Menu" into the field where u usually press ur key-combination of course didnt work and iirc the mentioned file also didnt exist, so i always was stuck without this key and only got replies that ive to wait to gtk-2.10 because it was mainly a gtk 'failure' so i dont think ur correct here roll

And I know you're excited, but the title of this thread is terrible.

well i just wanted to inform and putting the info in the title i would mention ere didnt make sense to me, just wanted to get ur attention, .. but not implicitly in this way :S .....

#4 2006-08-24 16:42:01

stonecrest

detto wrote:

i always tried that, but writng "Menu" into the field where u usually press ur key-combination of course didnt work and iirc the mentioned file also didnt exist, so i always was stuck without this key and only got replies that ive to wait to gtk-2.10 because it was mainly a gtk 'failure' so i dont think ur correct here roll

You don't have to write "Menu" anywhere, just press the key when the shortcut setting manager asks you for the shortcut. And what file doesn't exist? I didn't even mention any file tongue

And it definitely doesn't require gtk-2.10, nor does it have anything to do with gtk.

I am a gated community.

#5 2006-08-24 17:37:59

detto

stonecrest wrote:

You don't have to write "Menu" anywhere

k, this seems logical to me.

just press the key when the shortcut setting manager asks you for the shortcut.

did that of course, but never worked, also not slackware or any other distro where ive used xfce4.2 (iirc it was 4.2.3.2)

And what file doesn't exist? I didn't even mention any file tongue

i meant the file i posted in first thread, the one inside ~/.themes.

And it definitely doesn't require gtk-2.10, nor does it have anything to do with gtk.

cant give any specific informations about that this would be a gtk-2.10 problem, i just all the time got this answer to the question concerning the windows key in gtk apps / xfce4. and anyway this is so unintreseting since 2.10 hit the repos in arch..

Board footer