You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-02 08:38:41

Freeeman

Change Mime Types in Thunar (Xfce)

Hi,

it important for me that i can edit the application list in the "open with" sub menu in thunar file manager. i can edit the default application very simple by edit the file $HOME/.config/mimeapps.list. there is a section [Default Applications] and thats it. but this doesn't work with the "open with" list because there is only the section [Added Associations] and what i edit here has no effect to what thunar displays. an example: i open jpeg files with gwenview, in the open with list there is also firefox and ristretto, but there is no entry for jpeg file sin the section [Added Associations]. when i add an other application to the list directly in thunar there is an new entry but only with the new application. there is no way to delete the other applications (firefox and ristretto) from the list. other file managers seem to use an other mimeaps.list in $HOME/.local/share/applications, but at the moment there isn't a extra file here, so this can not be the problem.

is there an additional file where thunar gets information what applications to display in the "open with" list? i couldn't find information about that, also not in xfce support forums.

Thx,
Freeeman

Last edited by Freeeman (2019-02-09 09:55:18)

#2 2019-02-02 11:10:08

Lone_Wolf

Re: Change Mime Types in Thunar (Xfce)

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/XD … eapps.list

You might want to check /etc/xdg/xfce-mimeapps.list

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2019-02-09 10:11:19

Freeeman

There isn't a file like this in /etc/xdg. Also there is no /etc/xdg/mimeapps.list. The only other file that exists is /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache. i can delete that file and i have what i want - only ~/.config/mimeaps.list is used to create the open with list. but after an update the file is re-created.

I guess right if the file is created based on the mimetypes in /usr/share/applications/<filename>.desktop?

#4 2019-02-09 11:14:12

Lone_Wolf

This sounds like something very specific to xfce / thunar and i have very little experience with them.

Try to get in touch with thunar developers, does xfce has  a bug tracker ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer