#1 2019-02-11 13:33:22

DanielH

libreoffice-fresh 6.2.0-2 defaults for VCL

This is a "fork" from libreoffice 6.2 fails to start [SOLVED]

DanielH wrote:

Launching Libreoffice from terminal:

[daniel@hardwork ~]$ libreoffice
Warning: failed to read path from javaldx
/usr/lib/libreoffice/program/lo_kde5filepicker: error while loading shared libraries: libKF5KIOFileWidgets.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
libKF5KIOFileWidgets.so.5 is a file that belongs to kio package.
kio package pulls a lot of KDE dependencies, thus, converting a pure Qt DE (like LXQt, which is my favorite) or a GTK based DE in a "KDE slave".
I don't like this.

I don't know WHY Libreoffice 6.2.0-2 has be compiled requiring libKF5KIOFileWidgets.so.5 , kio is an OPTIONAL dependency: kio: for KF5 KDE desktop integration.

---

[SOLVED]
As stated by @arojas in https://bugs.archlinux.org/ [CLOSED], this in NOT A BUG, but due a inadequate configuration for VCL in my system.
Uncommenting #export SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gen in /etc/profile.d/libreoffice-fresh.sh solves this issue.

---

seth wrote:

As for DanielH I'd assume something in your environment misleads LO to think it's running on KDE, see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LibreOffice#Theme on how to enforce a backend.

arojas wrote:

No, it is intentional. LO now uses the KDE VCL on LXQT by default

---

@seth
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/LibreOffice#Theme is outdated, it refers to SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gen, SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=kde4, SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gtk or SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gtk3
Apparently, kde4 is not supported now, only kde5 by means #export SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gtk3_kde5 .

@arojas, @seth

I agree with seth: using KDE VCL as default on LXQt is far for ideal.
I don't know if is posible to create a new SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN for Qt5 without KDE dependencies.

By the way, there is a request for adding separated kde5 and Qt5 options in LO, see [url=https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/61686?string=libreoffice&project=1&type[0]=&sev[0]=&pri[0]=&due[0]=&reported[0]=&cat[0]=&status[0]=open&percent[0]=&opened=&dev=&closed=&duedatefrom=&duedateto=&changedfrom=&changedto=&openedfrom=&openedto=&closedfrom=&closedto=]FS#61686 - [libreoffice-fresh] Qt5/KDE5 support[/url]

I don't know if this request is related to VCL.

@arojas
Could you explain what do you think on this?
Your kindly reply will be welcome!

Best regards,
DanielH

#2 2019-02-11 14:04:31

DanielH

Re: libreoffice-fresh 6.2.0-2 defaults for VCL

From ReleaseNotes/6.2

KDE 5 + Qt5
Two new VCL plugins (qt5 and kde5) have been implemented (with the KDE5 plugin extending the Qt5 one) to provide integration into KDE Plasma 5 and other Qt5-based desktop environments, mainly implemented by Katarína Behrens (CIB) and Jan-Marek Glogowski (City of Munich).

If the kde5 and the gtk3_kde5 plugins are installed, the desktop detection will now prefer the kde5 one. The qt5 plugin must be explicitly selected via SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=qt5, as it's never selected automatically.

Currently implemented features include:

Native widget rendering
Native Plasma file and folder picker
Native menus including Plasma global menu integration
Dual screen support
System clipboard integration
Basic native drag'n'drop
Basic accessibility support (Samuel Mehrbrodt, CIB)
Bugs and missing features are tracked via the KDE meta bug tdf#102495.

Technical note: The qt5 plugin implements two rendering paths: an experimental QPainter based one and the Cairo based one, which is also used by all other Unix plugins. The kde5 plugin uses only the Cairo rendering path. The qt5 plugin defaults to the QPainter rendering path, but it's possible to force the Cairo path using the environment variable SAL_VCL_QT5_USE_CAIRO.

IMPORTANT NOTE:
qt5 plugin is NOT installed by libreoffice-fresh 6.2.0-2 package in Arch.

Board footer