You are not logged in.

#1 2004-02-04 10:07:18

XPde UDE

Hi,

I browsed google for some desktop alternatives. Of course, Ximian and Dropline, LPT are there. I think they are all quite nice. But they  don´t work with arch.
So I looked for some others and found those:

http://www.xpde.com/shots.php
http://udeproject.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html
http://ede.sourceforge.net/

Anyone tried them ?
It would be nice to have them in the package list....

Kin

#2 2004-02-04 10:56:54

andy

Re: XPde UDE

I've used EDE a bit. In fact I've been doing PKGBUILD's for some of the snapshots that have been released during the last few months. Since they were only snapshots and since they needed quite a bit of fixing, I did not release them officially. Now that EDE 1.0.1 got released, I made another package. It still needed a bit fixing, but most importantly, I was a bit disappointed that they removed quite a number of tools. But if there is interest I will put something in incoming or elsewhere.
And I still need to fix the default menue's - it's somewhat Mandrake-specific :-)
Also, I'm not sure which version of their library (efltk) to use yet. I have a snapshot installed ....

About the other two : I know of them but have no experience with them.

#3 2004-02-04 12:06:36

dp
Website

have a look at "ion" (it's in the repos) ... a very fast and simple one

xpde is horrible: it's a very bad copy of the MSWindows-theme ... and it should be a clone of it ... actually i like more the original (now you can imagine, how good it is wink)

the other two i heard about, but never used/tried, sorry

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#4 2004-02-04 18:14:04

sarah31
Website

ude is in the repos and is very basic i use it as my interface on my router. (so i don't have to open multiple consoles)

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#5 2004-02-04 18:53:03

@andy I´d be happy if you finish the EDE package :-)

I tried XPde. Well it is a Windows XP clone; At least it is faster than XP on my machine :-)

#6 2004-02-06 10:28:22

andy

Anonymous wrote:

@andy I´d be happy if you finish the EDE package :-)

OK, but I will be away from a PC for the most part of this weekend :-) ... so, it won't be before next week.

#7 2004-02-15 22:36:08

andy

Just an update : I'm afraid it's currently not possible to create a sensible PKGBUILD. EDE requires an efltk out of CVS or some snapshot which is no longer on the servers ..... :-(

#8 2004-03-27 22:36:46

tehdely
Website

andy wrote:

Just an update : I'm afraid it's currently not possible to create a sensible PKGBUILD. EDE requires an efltk out of CVS or some snapshot which is no longer on the servers ..... :-(

You can make PKGBUILDs that draw from CVS.  You just have to do it inside build()

[Arch GNUstep Repository] [ PKGBUILDS ]
[code][gnustep]
Server = ftp://blkwidow.lerp.com/pub/mirror/arch/gnustep[/code]

#9 2004-03-29 16:41:32

mcubednyc

Cramit D. Frog wrote:

I was hoping to get Xpde on my machine so my Girl Friend (not one to like changes in what she's used too) can use my compter with little fuss; and without me rebooting into windows.

Here's what you could do:

Install BB4Win (blackbox clone) on your Windows system.

Install Xpde on Arch.

Show her how nice "blackbox" looks on "Linux," but then boot into Arch to let her use her familiar interface.  See how long it takes her to figure out what's going on.

Hurry ... April 1st is right around the corner!   :twisted:

"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - S. Jackson

#10 2004-03-29 18:28:16

karacus

Here another one to look at
http://rox.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/
It does have a few bug but all in all it is fast.

best regard
karacus

Board footer