You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-16 11:01:55

Observer

CIFS mounts die after some time

Hi,

I need some help with this weird problem. I have a server in my home lab with Arch. This server runs a samba server and has some different shares. I use some of this shares on my desktop pc (also Arch) and recognize sometimes this kind of problem:

I mount one share first and use it without any problem. After some time I mount another share and can use both. But in some cases the first mount dies after some time. In this case the desktop client cant use the mount point and I get the message "Stale file handle".

The dead share must be removed with "umount -l".

I checked the server with "smbstatus" and cant see any problems. The processes for my user are active and the log files seems fine for me.

Another Windows client in my network works without any problems.

For the mount I use this kind of command:

sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.1.1/share1 /mnt/home-server/private/ -o username=<user>,uid=1000,gid=1000

Have someone  a tip for me? Currently I cant found any reason for this behavior.

Last edited by Observer (2019-02-16 11:02:11)

#2 2019-02-17 14:48:05

Buddlespit

Re: CIFS mounts die after some time

My samba server has two shares that are loaded on boot thru systemd mount units. I haven't had any problems (lately) with the mounts. I did have a problem a few months ago, after a samba update, but it ended up being an issue with my servers smb.conf.
Also, it looks like your samba server is on your router. I've never been able to make samba work well with any router I tried. My problems were with the drives being on usb, but it's been years since I tried anything like that.

Board footer