You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-18 01:32:13

doorknob60

Can't get rid of tearing (dual screen, one 144 Hz, Nvidia)

In the past couple months, I haven't been able to figure out how to get rid of screen tearing on my setup. I believe I had it working in the past with the same hardware.

I have a GTX 1070, one 1440p 144 Hz monitor, and one 1080p 60 Hz monitor. I usually am playing games on my 1440p monitor and watching Twitch or Youtube on the other one.

I have Nvidia driver 415.27, and I have Force Full Composition Pipeline turned on for both monitors. But no matter what I do, I get tearing on both screens.

I'm using Xfce right now, but I've also tried KDE, Cinnamon, and LXQT, the former 2 DEs with and without compositing turned on. KDE and Cinnamon have issues where if compositing is on, it is only running at 60 Hz when both monitors are enabled, making it useless for me with a 144 Hz screen. I've also tried Compton, which not only doesn't get rid of the tearing, but it adds more stuttering.

I've tried everything I can find in the Wiki and nothing quite works.

Windows almost works and is becoming very tempting, though even there I get some stuttering (at times worse than in Arch).

Last edited by doorknob60 (2019-02-18 01:32:50)

#2 2019-02-21 21:22:57

Darksoul

Re: Can't get rid of tearing (dual screen, one 144 Hz, Nvidia)

The thing with kwin is it sets the refresh rate at the lowest frequency display, because kwin uses the same refresh rate across all monitors. It can't do 144 on one monitor and 60 on the other.

You can force the refresh rate in ~/.config/kwinrc and under [Composting] add the following:

MaxFPS=144
RefreshRate=144

To resolve tearing disable all composition/full composition pipeline options per monitor in nvidia-settings, under OpenGL settings make sure sync to vblank is on, allow flipping and use conformant texture clamping. Then force kwin FPS/Refresh rate with the above and create a file called kwin.sh in /etc/profile.d. Add the following to it:

#!/bin/sh
export KWIN_TRIPLE_BUFFER=1

People say you need to force triple buffering in the xorg file too, but I haven't done that and it works for me. So the last step may be redundant here.

I am also using OpenGL 2 in kwin with automatic on tearing prevention.

Then save and restart your PC.

That's it, fixed the problem for me on my dual monitor setup although both have the same refresh rate. If you change any graphical settings the magic is ruined and you have to restart your PC for it to be tear free again.

This probably won't help with fullscreen games. Windowed games might work if they are using the compositor.

Last edited by Darksoul (2019-02-21 21:31:56)

Board footer