You are not logged in.

#1 2019-02-23 11:29:02

Utini
Website

KDE setting locale to en_AT which doesn't exist?

Hello everyone,

I just switched from XFCE to KDE and noticed that after changing my "Time & Date" settings in KDE to "Austria" it will set a weird locale which actually doesn't exist.

So this is the output I get from "locale":

locale: Cannot set LC_CTYPE to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_MESSAGES to default locale: No such file or directory
locale: Cannot set LC_ALL to default locale: No such file or directory
LANG=en_AT.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_AT.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_AT.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_AT.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_AT.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_AT.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_AT.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_AT.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_AT.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_AT.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_AT.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_AT.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_AT.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

Also I noticed that in a calculator e,g, the number "1,5" + "2" gives me the error "malformed expression" while with the "german language / metric system" it should output "3,5".
"1.5" + "2" will work correctly and output "3.5" but not "3,5". Because in out language system we express numbers like "1.200,35€" =1200€ and 35 cent.

Any ideas? sad

Thanks!

Setup 1: Thinkpad T14s G3, 14" FHD - R7 6850U - 32GB RAM - 2TB Solidigm P44 Pro NVME
Setup 2: Thinkpad X1E G1, 15.6" FHD - i7-8850H - 32GB RAM - NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti - 2x 1TB Samsung 970 Pro NVME
Accessories: Filco Majestouch TKL MX-Brown Mini Otaku, Benq XL2420T (144Hz), Lo(w)gitech G400, Puretrak Talent, Sennheiser HD800S + Meier Daccord FF + Meier Classic FF

#2 2019-02-23 15:31:10

seth

Re: KDE setting locale to en_AT which doesn't exist?

Check "~/.config/plasma-localerc" and "~/.config/plasma-locale-settings.sh" - the bogus locale kicks you into the C locale, so the other behavior is expectable.
Google has 4 pages worth of en_AT.UTF-8, so this seems to maybe be a thing on some distros, though I've no idea what the Austrian variant of English is supposed to be (except Arnold, of course ;-)

#3 2019-02-24 10:38:44

Utini
Website

seth wrote:

Check "~/.config/plasma-localerc" and "~/.config/plasma-locale-settings.sh" - the bogus locale kicks you into the C locale, so the other behavior is expectable.
Google has 4 pages worth of en_AT.UTF-8, so this seems to maybe be a thing on some distros, though I've no idea what the Austrian variant of English is supposed to be (except Arnold, of course ;-)

Good morning seth,

yes I already figured out that the bogus comes from KDE ("~/.config/plasma-localerc" and "~/.config/plasma-locale-settings.sh").
I can change those files to en_US but then my whole system will be in "US" mode again (e.g. inch instead of meter and 12h AM/PM instead of 24h).

How ever, I could not find a fix to the issue anywhere :S
Also I didn't have this issue before on any DE (XFCE / GNOME). I could always set the language to english but the formats to german.

Changing the "formats" in "system settings -> formats" to Germany (instead of Austria) will now give me the following output on "locale":

LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

I could live with that (although I am actually setting the wrong country but with the same language). How ever, the "LC_ALL=" empty now?
Or is that how it should be? My system language is still english (which I want it to be).

Last edited by Utini (2019-02-24 10:46:12)

Setup 1: Thinkpad T14s G3, 14" FHD - R7 6850U - 32GB RAM - 2TB Solidigm P44 Pro NVME
Setup 2: Thinkpad X1E G1, 15.6" FHD - i7-8850H - 32GB RAM - NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti - 2x 1TB Samsung 970 Pro NVME
Accessories: Filco Majestouch TKL MX-Brown Mini Otaku, Benq XL2420T (144Hz), Lo(w)gitech G400, Puretrak Talent, Sennheiser HD800S + Meier Daccord FF + Meier Classic FF

#4 2019-02-24 12:47:19

seth

There's no en_AT (except, as mentioned, for Arnold), i assume what you want is

LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="de_AT.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="de_AT.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_MONETARY="de_AT.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="de_AT.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="de_AT.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="de_AT.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="de_AT.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="de_AT.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="de_AT.UTF-8"

where some values might be subject to flamewar. You probably can also go w/ de_DE.UTF-8, but ensure the locale is generated.
Check "man 7 locale" what each locale impacts.

idk whether this can be done via the KDE locale settings these days (used to be, at least for numeric/measurement/monetary)

Board footer