You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-26 00:40:31

Moofed

evdev mouse wierdness

I just ran a `pacman -Syu`.  When I rebooted (it updated my kernel) X wouldn't start any more, compaining about "PreInit returned NULL".  I eventually narrowed this down to evdev not finding my mouse event device, which I have udev setup to create automatically base on id, ala wiki instructions.  X only works now with the evdev device set to '/dev/input/event1'.

On top of that, the tilt buttons on my G5 mouse are now revered.  :evil:

Anyone know what happened?

#2 2006-08-26 21:22:13

elasticdog
Website

Re: evdev mouse wierdness

I think a lot of the stuff in evdev was updated and actually fixed so a lot of the old tweaks to get it working, you don't need to do anymore.  I had a udev rule to always grab the mouse event no matter what number, but found that it too stoped working with the latest release.  I just did what you mentioned and now use <code>/dev/input/event1</code> again.

The tilt-buttons issue is most likely caused by an xmodmap rule somewhere that you might have set.  With my Logitech MX500, I always had to list out 32 buttons (even though there aren't that many) and have the scroll wheel ones switched, but with the new evdev driver, I just let it figure things out and all buttons work just fine.  So you have something for reference, my relevant section of <code>xorg.conf</code> now looks like this:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "evdev"
        Option      "Dev Name"       "PS2++ Logitech MX Mouse"
        Option      "Dev Phys"       "isa0060/serio1/input0"
        Option      "Device"         "/dev/input/event1"
        #Option      "Device"         "/dev/input/mx500"
        #Option      "Buttons"        "32"
        #Option      "Buttons"        "10"
        Option      "Resolution"     "800"
        Option      "SampleRate"     "150"
EndSection

You can see what I commented out from before this evdev release.  So remove the unneccessary lines, check to make sure you don't xmodmap the button order anywhere, and you should be set!

#3 2006-08-26 22:33:02

Moofed

This is a pretty new install and I know I have't messed with xmodmap recently.  Plus I use just openbox, so its not some DE that is interfering.

The udev from testing doesn't help at all, and neither does chmod a+rw. sad

My relevent xorg.conf stuff:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "G5Mouse"
        Driver          "evdev"
        Option          "Device" "/dev/input/event1"
#       Option          "Name" "USB Gaming Mouse"
EndSection

The name option doesn't work either (yes, that is the exact product string).  The problem with the event* devices is I've had them get reordered on reboot sometimes.

#4 2006-09-04 02:26:02

isez2001

You could use a Udev rule to make sure the device always shows up at the same place.

I have this stored in /etc/rc.d/udev/local.rules to place my Logitech mouse at /dev/input/event9:

KERNEL=="event*", SYSFS(manufacturer)=="Logitech", SYSFS(product)=="USB RECEIVER", NAME="input/event9", MODE="0644"

I made that rule while following this guide ( http://aarongyes.com/guides/mx1000 ).  There is a very complete Udev guide linked to from that page, but you might not even need it--you can probably figure it out from the mx1000 guide.

Despite what the guide says, you should stick to naming the deivice "event<x>".  Recent versions won't accept other device names.

Board footer