You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-02 00:20:18

Noki

[SOLVED] Black Screen on Booting from UEFI USB

Hi all,

New issue has arisen today. I lost the boot entry in my BIOS due to needing to clear CMOS. My motherboard (an AsRock Extreme4) doesn't seem to have a manual entry system for boot options (my Dell XPS 15 9550 does allow me to manually make a boot entry alongside the Windows Boot Loader and point it to an .efi file). So I need to recreate this if possible. If there is a way to do this please let me know? (simplest solution)

Not being able to do that I tried to reinstall Arch. Same USB I have used several times before. I made it around a year ago I think, but have used it several times.

Placing the USB into a USB2.0 Port and booting using UEFI (as opposed to USB) I select the first option the USB gives me in the list to install. This flashed some text before the screen goes black, but still light (not off).

Num lock changes when pressed and alt+f-key seems to switch modes so it hasn't crashed (I think).

An Ubuntu 18.04 USB gives the same result, so not limited to Arch.

Only change to my system is a new Graphics card, an RTX 2060. This replaced my GTX 770 and was working fine for several days (until I cleared CMOS today to fix a POST issue). I've only ever installed Arch from the 770, but I know the 2060 runs Arch on this system just fine (at least once installed). Windows 10 is also working fine so I can boot something.

My obvious next step is to replace the old graphics card and try again. This is not a good solution though since I need to keep the old card in case of breakages and move cables around (I guess on-board graphics might be an option but would be a almost as much hassle).

Does anyone know of a solution that doesn't require manipulating the hardware?

If I can solve the black screen, is there a command that makes a UEFI boot entry rather than fully reinstalling?

Thanks,
Noki

P.S. it is late so I won't be trying the card swap until the morning. Posting now in-case I don't have to.

Last edited by Noki (2019-03-02 01:33:11)

#2 2019-03-02 00:28:17

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Black Screen on Booting from UEFI USB

Add nomodeset to the kernel line.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2019-03-02 00:47:18

Noki

I don't have access to Grub. The entry is missing from my BIOS boot entries. How you do you do this from the Arch Boot USB? I tried tab and right arrow etc..

#4 2019-03-02 01:00:47

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#5 2019-03-02 01:38:06

Noki

Fixed, thanks for your help jasonwryan.

I forgot it was 'e' to edit line from grub. nomodeset worked on the end and was able to run grub update and boot to Arch without reinstalling.

I did get this udev issue also, but all it did was make it slow to run. As a note to my future self.

Board footer