You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-03 00:39:33

salsadoom

Problems with headphone jack on new laptop

Hi guys,

Problem here I haven't been able to lick yet. I got a new laptop, an Asus G703GX. Mostly works fine, but I'm having an issue with the headphone jack that's at the moment beyond me.

By default, plugging something in makes no change at all, sound keeps coming from the internal speakers and it just doesn't sense anything is plugged in. So I looked into this and apparently I needed to "retask" the jack. So I did this

[sd@inexorable ~]$ sudo hdajacksensetest -a
Pin 0x12 (Internal Mic): present = No
Pin 0x13 (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x14 (Internal Speaker): present = No
Pin 0x16 (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x17 (Internal Speaker): present = No
Pin 0x18 (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x19 (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x1a (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x1b (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x1d (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x1e (Not connected): present = No
Pin 0x21 (Not connected): present = Yes

Ok so Pin 0x21 is the headphones. Ok. I run hdajackretask and selected my audio card "Realtek ALC295". It doesn't show up in the list by default so I selected show unconnected pins, and override 0x21 to headphone. Progress. When I plug something in to the headphone jack, it detects something and cuts the audio to the internal speakers. Unfortunately, it outputs a steady static hum out of the laptops internal speakers (not the headphones), and no sound is played through the headphones. Once this option is set then it just continually outputs static whether the headphones are plugged in or not. If I leave the headphones unplugged, load pulseaudio, plug something in then I just no sound of any kind.

Kinda lost on where to proceed here now. Any advice very welcome!

#2 2019-03-10 14:16:31

salsadoom

Re: Problems with headphone jack on new laptop

Well. I did fix an issue with some of my speakers not working (yeash this card is a mess in Linux). But I tried everything here including setting the model to various things that looked promising (like alc295-disable-dac3, and an hp envy with the same chip) and just no luck. I have to throw in the towel on this one, it looks like this laptop does something stupid with its audio and requires a new model option to fix the issues with the driver itself. Bummer. I'll have to look into how exactly to even report such a bug.

Board footer