You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-26 22:42:15

borge

How to install RealPlayer

I'm new to Arc Linux but find it a nice distro so far, especially the Arch x86_64 flavour made me happy.

I need to have realplayer to be able to listen to some streamed radio.

Here http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=9388 I found a
way to use pacman to install realplayer wiich I tried to follow.

After installing I can't get realplayer to work, not even to start:

$ realplay
/usr/bin/realplay: line 70: /opt/realplayer/realplay.bin: No such file or directory

My first guess was this might have something to do with the package not
beeing 64 bit:

$ file /opt/realplayer/realplay.bin
/opt/realplayer/realplay.bin: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.2.5, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.2.5, stripped

I guess you could not run 32-bit ELFs on a 64-bit Arch-system?

Any suggestions how to get realplayer to work on my system?

#2 2006-08-26 22:48:54

dolby

Re: How to install RealPlayer

i think that the codecs package includes a realmedia codec so theres no need to install it. i might be wrong but my xfmedia does play rm files

There shouldn't be any reason to learn more editor types than emacs or vi -- mg (1)
[You learn that sarcasm does not often work well in international forums.  That is why we avoid it. -- ewaller (arch linux forum moderator)

#3 2006-08-26 23:14:42

borge

It turned out I allready had the cocecs package installed, but not the xfmedia app. Can't find the package for xfmedia...

But, good news. I found a way to tell my radio web page to feed my Windows Media files instead of RealPlayer files and now it just works. Konqueror uses the mplayer plug-in and... yes, so does Firefox.

#4 2006-08-27 00:23:03

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

borge: I'm glad you found a workaround. The link in your first post refers to an old thread. For the record, the old tur repos are unmaintained and have been obsoleted by the AUR and community repo. They should not be used anymore.
There is an  up-to-date realplayer PKGBUILD in AUR but it also use a rpm so it won't work on Arch64. When updating it, I saw some realplayer sources but I am sceptical that RealNetwork would release the source of its proprietary file formats. The source probably only build  codecs for the open source file formats. I'll check it out when I'll have time.

BTW, xfmedia is in the community repo.

Board footer