You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-06 22:17:33

jojomodding

lightdm/Xorg clings to nvidia gpu even though it shouldn't

Hello

I am using optirun/bumblebee on my laptop, mainly using my intel iGPU. However the HDMI cable is routed to the nvidia chip only, so under certain conditions I sometimes use nvidia-xrun to start a second X server that then runs on the nvidia GPU, so it can access the external monitor natively. I use nvidia-xrun for that.

However when I'm done and want to exit it and again disable the GPU, I can't, because an Xorg process that's a child of lightdm (my login manager) is apparently using the nvidia gpu (as seen by running `lsof /dev/nvidiactl`). This means that the card cannot be disabled, even though I'm not using it.
The only way to disable it is to stop lightdm, disable the card, and restart lightdm again. Trying to force-remove the nvidia_drm module results in a hard crash.
This only happens sometimes. I think it might be related to using the external HDMI plug, because that shows up when running xrandr on the iGPU x server, even though actually trying to use it results in an error.

How can I force lightdm to detach from the nvidia GPU without crashing everything or restarting lightdm?

Note to mods: I post this here since bumblebee is commonly used on laptops. If it should go somewhere else, please move it there.

Board footer