You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-27 10:23:18

ezzetabi

Help convincing myself passing to Arch from Fedora...

Hi everybody, I am a new entry in the forum and I need a little push for passing to Arch Linux.
Please do not answer me just 'RTM' or 'Just use the distro you prefere'. I tried installing ArchLinux in a Virtual Machine and the installation of the base packages, including setting the non US keyboard, the partitioning, went just fine.
I was scared by the 'ArchLinux will not hold your hand during install' sentence I read somewhere, but it was not the case, the menu is well done 'Partition' -> 'Mount' -> 'Install' ect... Great job!

I messed up while tring to activate the X server, the VM isn't connected to internet and I could not install 'hwd' since it is not in the CD. And at the moment if I write X the VM freezes.
But I guess it is only a matter of VM problem.

I use my computer usually for:
Programming where I use Emacs or Kate and of course gcc's g++ variant.
Writing using tetex.
Seeing movies/listening musics where I use MPlayer
Browsing the internet using Opera or Firefox.
Writing Japanese texts using kinput2.
But of course I do not mind having a copy of Open Office sometime.

About hardware I have a ATI radeon 9700 video card and Audigy2 sound card. Do you think I'll be able to activate both video (I read about in the WIKI) and audio accelleration?

Since the programming  and writing is my job I can't lose the use of the computer too long, so I prefere asking what do you think. Should I pass to archlinux?

I'm bored of Fedora since even if the installation is dead easy it seems installing lots of crap that I actually do not need nor I actually understand :S and now it is using about 6GiB of my hard disk space...

Thanks for your help! And it seems a really great distro.

#2 2006-08-27 15:07:47

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: Help convincing myself passing to Arch from Fedora...

You seem to know what you're doing for the most part, so Arch'll be ok. Downtime shouldn't be long, if you have problems, post here, we reply quick, usually in duplicate (odds are this'll be the second reply to your post by the time I'm done. ;-))

Arch will mostly solve the "installing lots of crap that you don't need" problem. Video acceleration is tricky for ATI owners, but if the documentation doesn't work, you'll be able to get help here.

You don't *need* hwd to configure X. One thing you could do is copy the xorg.conf from your existing distro and use it in Arch.

Basically, the installer is Arch's worst point. If you liked the installer, you'll love the rest of the distro.

I usually advise a little caution when encouraging people to use Arch, but in your particular case, I don't think you'll be disappointed. You can always reinstall fedora if you don't like it. :-)

Dusty

#3 2006-08-27 18:05:07

filoktetes

I usually use xorgconfig to make an xorg.conf to start with. It usually works, and then you just change the things that need changing smile

#4 2006-08-28 15:13:46

noriko
Website

I'm bored of Fedora since even if the installation is dead easy it seems installing lots of crap that I actually do not need nor I actually understand :S and now it is using about 6GiB of my hard disk space...

arch is what you need, no bloat, no hand holding, yet easy enough to learn... and compared to fedora (for me) it's bulletFast ... faster than gentoo stage3 also...
and you install what you need, not what the distro devs say the average moe needs...

i'd recomend installing arch to a smaller partition but maintain the optino to resize it later, that way you can simply copy over old config files once it's up and running, that's teh way i've done it for teh 6+ months i've been on arch... and trust me i've screwed up then  re-installed it many times..lol..
  :twisted:

The.Revolution.Is.Coming - - To fight, To hunger, To Resist!

#5 2006-08-28 15:35:57

ezzetabi

ATM I mounted /home in different disk than the / so I can easily wipe out the OS without losing important stuff big_smile
You know, at the time of Windows where reformatting was a everyday issue it was really importand doing so smile

My main concern is about my audigy2, but as far I understand the newer kernels + alsa drivers understand it.

Thanks for the push, I have to finish a job for the 1st of september so I'll try later... If I'll disappear completly something goes completly wrong... wink

#6 2006-08-28 16:59:19

alikas
Website

If yuo use KDE, to install it write 'need pacman -S kde', then yuo can wite Japanise letters, I think.
And yuo can install 'Mplayer' plugins for 'XMMS' player, search it 'pacman -Ss mplayer' and view Video with this good player XMMS.
I sorry, if yuo known that.

Goodbye!

Board footer