You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-27 14:42:10

braincenter
Website

Hello from Arch Newbie in Michigan

After spending several DAYS trying to configure Arch, I finally have it running the way I want (without the fluff of other distros I have tried). Most of the problems were due to older hardware.. but even the legacy Nvidia drivers worked once I figured out to actually USE them.

I migrated from FC4/5 which I had been using since RH9 days. I find Arch Linux to be speedy, compact and boots fast as compared to these distros.

I have tried everything from Gentoo to Debian to Ubuntu.... and I wish I would have found Arch sooner.

Kudos to the Arch Developers!

#2 2006-08-27 18:18:34

ToastedToad

Re: Hello from Arch Newbie in Michigan

Welcome aboard!!!!

#3 2006-08-27 18:41:57

arooaroo
Website

Welcome, although I'm concerned that it took you so "days" to get here. I wonder if you discovered some hurdles that you think others may face, and if so, perhaps documenting them in the wiki?

But now you're here, you'll never leave!

#4 2006-08-27 19:31:53

braincenter
Website

arooaroo wrote:

Welcome, although I'm concerned that it took you so "days" to get here. I wonder if you discovered some hurdles that you think others may face, and if so, perhaps documenting them in the wiki?

Most of my problems were solved by reading thru the existing Wiki.

The issues I had in configuration were mostly with sound card (via82) and configuring LAMP for my web development:

- For via82 integrated sound cards, try running alsaconf when logged in as root - using a sudo account did not work properly.

- Some of my issues where related to knowing how or where to find stuff in Fedora.  For example, the default directory for Apache is not /var/www , etc. Tip: Make sure to chmod all of your web site files to 755 when moving from /var/www to /home/httpd/html. Otherwise you will get an error that php can't find the include path - on line 0.

- I had issues getting MYSQL/PHP to play nicely. Tried editing the php.ini, httpd.conf and my.conf until I got it to work....

To be totally honest, I probably could never re-create all the steps that it took to get here in a wiki......... I am here and that is all that matters LOL

#5 2006-08-28 08:10:56

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

braincenter wrote:

After spending several DAYS trying to configure Arch

I have spent several years using Arch and have yet to configure it to my likes - I consider that a personal failure though wink

#6 2006-08-28 09:25:54

chrismortimore

The worst part of setting up Arch I found was that the installer uses vi and not vim.  I'm used to vim, and I like using my delete buton to actually delete things...

Welcome from one new person to another.

Desktop: AMD Athlon64 3800+ Venice Core, 2GB PC3200, 2x160GB Maxtor DiamondMax 10, 2x320GB WD Caviar RE, Nvidia 6600GT 256MB
Laptop: Intel Pentium M, 512MB PC2700, 60GB IBM TravelStar, Nvidia 5200Go 64MB

Board footer