You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-27 21:20:35

jimbo-62

Network Browsing? [Solved, Sort of]

I have a new installation of Arch 0.7.2 with KDE desktop. Almost everything works that I want: Internet browsing with Firefox, printing to my HP network printer, playing .mpg and .wmv video files with sound. But, so far I am unable to browser shared netrwork folders. I have installed samba and smbclient pacakges. I have Konqueror as part of KDE. I have edited /etc/samba/smb.conf for my workgroup. But when I start Konqueror and open Network Folders > Samba Shares, I get an error message:

Unable to create io-slave
Klauncher said: error loading kio_smb

I guess there is a package missing or I need to configure something. (I am able to browser the shared network folders from Debian.)

Any help will be appreciated, jimbo

#2 2006-08-28 04:08:42

battra

Re: Network Browsing? [Solved, Sort of]

I don't know the answer to your problem.  But, it may help to try seeing if you can browse with smbclient or xsmbrowser.  This will shed light on whether the problem is with KDE or Samba.

Also, maybe try upgrading (or reinstalling) KDE and Samba.  This is more a shot in the dark, though.

"I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance."
- Socrates

#3 2006-08-28 15:24:52

jaboua

Also, make sure you have the right KDE packages installed - I'm not sure what package the kioslave is in, but my guess would be kdenetwork.

#4 2006-08-28 22:12:39

jimbo-62

Thanks for the replies. I am able to mount a shared folder from another computer on the network using smbmount. Konqueror samba share still gives the same error, so I guess I am missing a KDE package. I will check, but I am fairly sure that I installed kdenetwork.

Thanks again, jimbo

#5 2006-08-29 17:13:55

jimbo-62

jimbo-62 wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I am able to mount a shared folder from another computer on the network using smbmount. Konqueror samba share still gives the same error, so I guess I am missing a KDE package. I will check, but I am fairly sure that I installed kdenetwork.

Thanks again, jimbo

The rest of the story. Yesterday, I managed to mount and browse a shared folder on a PC connected to my home network using smbmount. But, I was still getting the same error message mentioned in my original post when I tried to open samba shares from Konqueror. This morning, when I started Konqueror > Network Folders > Samba Shares, my workgroup was there and I am able to browse shared folders on my home network. I am not sure what happened, except that in order to get smbmount to work I ended up installing packages nmap, glibc and db. 

Thanks for the help, jimbo

#6 2007-02-17 08:14:07

alikas
Website

I only instal db and this fix this problem.

Goodbye!

Board footer