You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-31 20:43:36

tzcrawford

Intermittent video slowdowns with intel graphics?

I am using a librebooted thinkpad w500 with an intel core 2 t9600 and integrated graphics (libreboot disables the AMD M86M/GL video card). I have experienced intermittent slowdowns, most obvious in video choppiness, i.e. 10+ dropped frames per second in both local videos viewed with mpv as well as online through youtube, etc. Additionally, moving the mouse or other window-manager animations can appear laggy or slow, especially if video is playing. This appears to happen at random times, but usually some time after starting something more video-intensive (e.g. watching a video).  Internal temperature (<40 C), CPU utilization, and RAM utilization seem normal. Using xrandr to lower the resolution does not seem to help solve the issue, but restarting the computer seems to be a temporary fix.

I have worked through the hardware acceleration wiki page as well as the one on intel graphics with the best of my ability, but to no avail. I am using the i965 va-api and va_gl vdpau drivers, as I believe I should be.

I have enabled intel microcode and verified that it has started at boot.

The whole thing seems strange because I can view videos for a while with no issues, and then everything just stops working as it should until I reboot. So I don't think it's underpowered hardware or something like that, it must be something software related that gets broken over time.

Does anyone have any further suggestions on how to go about solving this issue?

Board footer