You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-29 00:18:53

panzer

NIC won't work after Install

Hi,

a couple of hours ago I did a FTP install of arch 0.7.2 and it worked well. I just had to unload the firewire kernel module so eth0 would be the NIC (a via rhine onboard NIC). Then I configured eth0 via the installer menu. All went well, as stated.
Right after the first reboot the lan adaptor woulnd't work anymore. I can configure it and ifconfig prints everything right, the route is fine and yet I can't get anywhere with a ping. Not even to my router. I even tried binding the mac address to the eth0 device which didn't help either. So here is what I tried so far:

- first module to load via_rhine
- blacklisted modules: ieee1394, ohci1394, pci_hotswap (tried both variations: MOD_BLACKLIST and MODULES with a !)

my config looks as follows:

lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
eth0="eth0 192.168.1.100 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255"
INTERFACES=(lo eth0)
gateway="default gw 192.168.1.254"
ROUTES=(gateway)

Obiviously, my 192.168.1.254 is my gateway/router (also nameserver).

The network card is fine, works in ubuntu and did work in gentoo, although I had similar trouble with getting it configured. In the end, however, it worked. In gentoo it was the firewire card as well, which kinda got in the way. There I unloaded the kernel modules (didn't load them at boot) and it worked fine.

Sometimes I get the error message: SIOCDELRT: no such device when doing a "/etc/rc.d/network restart".

I am out of ideas, any help or even the slightest advice would be nice. Thanks in advance!

#2 2006-08-29 06:16:05

luca

Re: NIC won't work after Install

Hi Panzer,
check if the eth1394 module is loaded. I had the same problem some time ago.
Also, check with the ifconfig command the type of the link, should be:

Link encap:Ethernet

#3 2006-08-29 17:06:56

panzer

Hi luca,

eth1394 is not loaded and ifconfig shows "Ethernet" in the encap part. The mac address is also correct (just to verify that it is indeed my ethernet card).
I'm really stuck now and frustrated. I consider downloading and compiling another kernel in the hopes it would solve my probs. What other options do I have?

#4 2006-08-29 22:50:38

panzer

Well I installed an earlier kernel version but it still doesn't work. I also removed (physicly) all firewire kernel modules to make really sure none of them are loaded.
I am totally lost now, as none of the things I tried worked. The ethernet adaptor works fine except in Arch but I do not get why at all. I came to Arch because I figure it was the best way to have a descent base system to let grow (without spending weeks on compiling like in gentoo). So I really want to make it work. If anyone got an idea please let me know, no matter how stupid or useless you may think it is, I will consider it! Tomorrow I will plug in a spare NIC I got which I can use to finnish my Arch install. Right now all I got is the base.

Thanks!

#5 2006-08-30 05:43:30

luca

Hi Panzer,
post the output of the lspci command.
Also check the dmesg  output
Do you have only one network card?

Board footer