You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-29 14:59:52

Romashka
Forum Fellow

strange problems with makepkg and pacman [solved]

Hi!

I'm trying to compile motor and get very strange errors.

PKGBUILD:

# Contributor: Roman Kyrylych <Roman>

pkgname=motor
pkgver=3.4.0
pkgrel=1
pkgdesc="A text mode based programming environment for Linux"
url="http://thekonst.net/en/motor"
license="GPL"
depends=('gcc' 'ncurses')
makedepends=()
conflicts=()
replaces=()
backup=()
install=
source=(http://thekonst.net/download/$pkgname-$pkgver.tar.bz2)
md5sums=('0fcf7ce0386b269e8bdbb7a86e9bee19')

build() {
  cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver
  ./configure --prefix=/usr
  make || return 1
  sed -i -e "s@-C $(datadir)@-C $startdir/pkg$(datadir)@g" $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver/share/Makefile.*
  make DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg install
}

makepkg -c:

. . .
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/abs/local/motor/src/motor-3.4.0'
==> Removing info/doc files...
==> Compressing man pages...
==> Stripping debugging symbols from libraries...
==> Stripping symbols from binaries...
==> Generating .PKGINFO file...
==> Generating .FILELIST file...
==> Compressing package...
==> Cleaning up...
==> Finished making: motor  (Tue Aug 29 17:29:56 EEST 2006)

Then I run gensync to update my repo, then pacman -Sy motor:

:: Synchronizing package databases...
:: current is up to date
:: extra is up to date
:: community is up to date
 romashka                 [/mnt/storage1/packages/] 100%    LOCAL

Targets: motor-3.4.0-1

Total Package Size:   0.4 MB

Proceed with upgrade? [Y/n]

checking package integrity...
error: archive motor-3.4.0-1.pkg.tar.gz is corrupted

pacman -A /mnt/storage1/packages/motor-3.4.0-1.pkg.tar.gz:

loading package data... done.
checking for file conflicts... done.
installing motor... done.

Question #1: why pacman -A works but pacman -Sy don't???
My repo update script works flawless with other packages.

namcap /mnt/storage1/packages/motor-3.4.0.pkg.tar.gz:

motor      E: File (usr/share/motor/templates/library/) has rk/users permissions.
motor      E: File (usr/share/motor/templates/library/static/) has rk/users permissions.
motor      E: File (usr/share/motor/templates/library/static/Parserules) has rk/users permissions.
motor      E: File (usr/share/motor/templates/library/static/Makefile.func) has rk/users permissions.
motor      E: File (usr/share/motor/templates/library/static/Debug) has rk/users permissions.
motor      E: File (usr/share/motor/templates/library/static/[value name].spec.tmpl) has rk/users permissions.
motor      E: File (usr/share/motor/templates/library/static/Settings) has rk/users permissions.
motor      E: File (usr/share/motor/templates/library/static/configure.in.tmpl) has rk/users permissions.
motor      E: File (usr/share/motor/templates/library/static/Folders) has rk/users permissions.
motor      E: File (usr/share/motor/templates/terminal program/) has rk/users permissions.
motor      E: File (usr/share/motor/templates/terminal program/C/) has rk/users permissions.
motor      E: File (usr/share/motor/templates/terminal program/C/Parserules) has rk/users permissions.
. . .
motor      E: File (usr/share/motor/templates/terminal program/perl/[value name].pl.tmpl) has rk/users permissions.
motor      E: File (usr/share/motor/templates/terminal program/perl/Folders) has rk/users permissions.

Question #2: why these files has permissions of ordinary user ('rk') when I was compiling from root??? I was logged as 'rk' by secure shell.

I could post the entire package but it is 0.4MB.

Can some gurus here explain why these strange things happen?

EDIT: corrected copy-paste mistake in PKGBUILD.

to live is to die

#2 2006-09-01 05:53:03

Romashka
Forum Fellow

Re: strange problems with makepkg and pacman [solved]

Anyone has any ideas?

to live is to die

#3 2006-09-01 09:31:30

sebcactus

You probably built it/installed it previously and it is stored in your cache (look at /var/cache/pacman/pkg/).
You can remove the old package by hand or remove all the packages with pacman -Scc.

In the future, to avoid this. Change the pkgrel variable when you build a package.

#4 2006-09-01 11:35:26

Romashka
Forum Fellow

sebcactus wrote:

You probably built it/installed it previously and it is stored in your cache (look at /var/cache/pacman/pkg/).

Yes. Thanks for pointing this out, I'll remember this. But this is not the source of the problem in my case.

sebcactus wrote:

You can remove the old package by hand or remove all the packages with pacman -Scc.

In my case this does not help. Nothing in output changed at all. And anyway this cache issue is not related to question #2.

sebcactus wrote:

In the future, to avoid this. Change the pkgrel variable when you build a package.

This is not a good solution when you make few compile tries before releasing pkgrel 1 to AUR. But I'll try to avoid this - will delete the package from cache each time before the next compile try.

to live is to die

#5 2006-09-01 15:06:11

sebcactus

Romashka wrote:

Yes. Thanks for pointing this out, I'll remember this. But this is not the source of the problem in my case.

I am pretty sure it was. pacman -A doesn't look at the packages repository information (.db.tar.gz) which contains the md5sum of the packages, whereas pacman -S does.

For the pkgrel. I agree, change it only if you have already made the previous pkgrel public wink

#6 2006-09-01 15:56:00

Romashka
Forum Fellow

sebcactus wrote:
Romashka wrote:

I am pretty sure it was. pacman -A doesn't look at the packages repository information (.db.tar.gz) which contains the md5sum of the packages, whereas pacman -S does.

Yes, but I mean that the problem was not related to installing old package version from cache instead of new from local repo.

I solved the first problem by first deleting and then regenerating my local repo .db.tar.gz. Then 'pacman -Sy motor' does not complain about corrupted archive.
The summary - gensync does not update package info for packages which have the same pkgver&pkgrel. Now I'll remember this.   8)

But the second question is still valid.
EDIT: Note that namcap complains about user permissions only for /usr/share/motor/templates/* which is the only one directory that is written in wrong place by make, that's why I used sed to change Makefile.*.
The most interesting thing here is why these files have permissions of user rk (logged via secure shell) and not root (logged using 'su -' and then started makepkg)?

to live is to die

#7 2006-09-01 16:14:02

Romashka
Forum Fellow

And yet another thing - makepkg with fakeroot installed does not work for me (at least when logged via secure shell):

[rk@server motor]$ makepkg -f
==> Entering fakeroot environment
==> Making package: motor 3.4.0-1 (Fri Sep  1 19:12:18 EEST 2006)
==> Checking Runtime Dependencies...
==> Checking Buildtime Dependencies...
==> Retrieving Sources...
mkdir: cannot create directory `src': Permission denied
/usr/bin/makepkg: line 454: cd: /var/abs/local/motor/src: No such file or directory
==>     Using local copy of motor-3.4.0.tar.bz2
cp: cannot create regular file `./motor-3.4.0.tar.bz2': Permission denied
==> Validating source files with MD5sums
    motor-3.4.0.tar.bz2 ... FAILED
==> ERROR: One or more files did not pass the validity check!

to live is to die

#8 2006-09-02 03:26:58

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

make sure your user has permission to write in the folder where you are running makepkg.

#9 2006-09-02 08:03:40

Romashka
Forum Fellow

Snowman wrote:

make sure your user has permission to write in the folder where you are running makepkg.

Thanks, Snowman.  :oops: How could I do such stupid mistake?  :oops:
Any ideas on question #2 from first post?

to live is to die

#10 2006-09-04 10:09:38

Romashka
Forum Fellow

I still cannot understand why the situation from Q#2 happened, but anyway motor is already in AUR (how did I not noticed it?).

to live is to die

Board footer