You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-29 18:10:15

diffyQ

quick questions: pacman and ABS

hi! -- i've had arch on my desktop for about a week now and i'm very impressed.  quick newbie questions:

can you tell me the difference between 'pacman -Rc foo' and 'pacman -Rs foo'?  i've read the man page but i'm still not sure.

second, i was reading over the wiki page on ABS, it says that if you run 'abs' from the command-line, it will build the ABS tree on your machine.  however, it seems that this is not required to run makepkg.  is there any reason to run abs other than to create a local repository?

#2 2006-08-29 18:16:05

stonecrest

Re: quick questions: pacman and ABS

diffyQ wrote:

second, i was reading over the wiki page on ABS, it says that if you run 'abs' from the command-line, it will build the ABS tree on your machine.  however, it seems that this is not required to run makepkg.  is there any reason to run abs other than to create a local repository?

abs is a quick way to grab a PKGBUILD (or all PKGBUILDs) from current/extra/etc. It's certainly not necessary, but it's more convenient than getting the PKGBUILD and all the related files manually from cvs.

I am a gated community.

#3 2006-08-29 19:24:55

tomk
Forum Fellow

diffyQ wrote:

can you tell me the difference between 'pacman -Rc foo' and 'pacman -Rs foo'?

With -Rc, you're dealing with packages that are depended on by other packages.
With -Rs, it's packages that depend on other packages.

Here's an example. You have two packages, foo and bar. bar depends on foo.
pacman -Rc foo will remove both packages.
pacman -Rs bar will also remove both packages, unless some other package also depends on foo.

Does that help?

#4 2006-08-30 06:18:07

diffyQ

tomk wrote:

Does that help?

that would be a "yes" to both questions -- thanks!

Board footer