You are not logged in.

#1 2004-02-05 14:22:06

whol

osnews.com article on Gentoo

There's a new release of Gentoo - but many of the responses to the announcement say "Try Arch Linux" !

8)

#2 2004-02-05 15:51:26

sarah31
Website

Re: osnews.com article on Gentoo

ah the zealotry begins.

where were those buffoons when i was defending arch against the gentoo zealots.

btw i never pushed arch unless i was asked and even then i did not oversell it or troll other distro release news. there is plenty of room for different distros and their announcements. there is absolutely no need to troll. personally trolling in the name of pushing your distro is really lame.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2004-02-05 18:03:32

jlowell

#4 2004-03-08 04:14:26

I am a Gentoo user, and I think some of you (particularly Sarah), go way too far in your trolling of Gentoo.

I dont know much about Arch Linux, but I know its people like her that make YOUR community looks just as bad as the people you are talking about in the Gentoo community.

#5 2004-03-08 04:16:48

sarah31
Website

wah wah i don't even use arch and i stand by my comments. since most are just comments here or in defense of arch, <insert other distros here> i don't really care what anyone thinks.

besides you don't see me going on your forums or into your community bitching about you.

takes a troll to know a troll in other words.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#6 2004-03-08 04:23:11

sarah31 wrote:

wah wah i don't even use arch and i stand by my comments. since most are just comments here or in defense of arch, <insert other distros here> i don't really care what anyone thinks.

besides you don't see me going on your forums or into your community bitching about you.

takes a troll to know a troll in other words.

Im not "bitching" about you.  I was directed here by some fellow Gentoo users, who were in utter amazement at the extent of the Gentoo-trolling and bashing that was going on here.

I searched for "gentoo" on your forums, and found at least 5 threads dedicated to "comparing" (READ: cutting down) Gentoo vs. Arch Linux.

I dont have anything bad to say about Arch.  Ive heard good things about it... but there are a select few people here, including you Sarah, that in my reading have taken the Gentoo bashing way too far.

- Scott

#7 2004-03-08 04:32:25

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Where's the line between cutting down and comparing?

If I said I didn't like a distro because of X and Y, but Arch gives me X and Y and I'm happy because of it, am I cutting down the other distro?

Most of the stuff I read about gentoo on here is actually comparing gentoo to arch.  There are some who defend gentoo and some who defend arch.  There is a lot of mud being lung in both directions.

I think it's cool that we're big enough now to have people using gentoo reading our forums.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#8 2004-03-08 04:39:10

Xentac wrote:

Where's the line between cutting down and comparing?

If I said I didn't like a distro because of X and Y, but Arch gives me X and Y and I'm happy because of it, am I cutting down the other distro?

Most of the stuff I read about gentoo on here is actually comparing gentoo to arch.  There are some who defend gentoo and some who defend arch.  There is a lot of mud being lung in both directions.

I think it's cool that we're big enough now to have people using gentoo reading our forums.

There is ALOT of comparison between the two, that is completely legitimate, youre absolutely correct.  This is why I singled Sarah, among a few others.

From what I've read, she is one of the main people who do nothing but bash Gentoo.  I read another thread, in which she made some VERY disparaging and mean-spirited remarks about the distro, and especially its users/community.  I cant be bothered to quote it right now, but I will if need be.

Trolling vs. Criticism, is not as fine of a line as many think.  Its quite easy to criticize another distro without being a jerk, and Sarah has "crossed that line", per se.

I wish Arch Linux a prosporous future big_smile

#9 2004-03-08 04:41:28

sarah31
Website

so to protect you fragile egos i am not allowed to voice my observations and experiences?

you may not have been one of the people that mistreated users of other forums and distros but i saw lots of it before it drove me away from the large general forums.

personally i don't like when there is any comparison between distros. gentoo and arch are nothing alike other than the fact that they are both linux distributions. if arch can be compared to anything it would be a cross between crux and debian. but to be honest it is not like either of those.

i can tell you my most negative experince with any of the few distros i have used was with gentoo. it was plain just bad when i used it. it may have improved since then but it was bad when i tried it. after i left and explained to people why it was bad i was accused of not knowing anything, etc. so after being accused of this and that and watching anyone who had less than positive reviews of gentoo get cut down i really started to have a very negative view of gentoo. this furthe got inflated when i would recommend other distros to people and gentoo zealots and users alike would come and crap on my and other peoples suggestions.

i don't aplogize for my trashing of gentoo. experience with the gentoo community created my views so look in the mirror. those of us who trash gentoo here or elsewhere likely went through the same experience.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#10 2004-03-08 10:15:47

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

I am getting fed up reading about Gentoo on the forum....I do not care what anyone else uses so long as its Linux....I think time would be better spent getting people using Linux  rather than arguing over which one is best....

Mr Green

Mr Green

#11 2004-03-08 13:55:51

m33sb3w

sarah31 wrote:

i can tell you my most negative experince with any of the few distros i have used was with gentoo. it was plain just bad when i used it. it may have improved since then but it was bad when i tried it. after i left and explained to people why it was bad i was accused of not knowing anything, etc. so after being accused of this and that and watching anyone who had less than positive reviews of gentoo get cut down i really started to have a very negative view of gentoo. this furthe got inflated when i would recommend other distros to people and gentoo zealots and users alike would come and crap on my and other peoples suggestions.

I'm curious what all of these problems were that made you consider Gentoo 'plain bad'.  I've been using the distro since pre-1.0 and I've never experienced any major problems, even while running development kernels and software.  I know a couple others who I introduced Gentoo to, no problems.  What was so horrendous?

sarah31 wrote:

i don't aplogize for my trashing of gentoo. experience with the gentoo community created my views so look in the mirror. those of us who trash gentoo here or elsewhere likely went through the same experience.

From another thread:

sarah31 wrote:

i have no respect for the distro or the community as they are a snobby bunch of trash talkers.

feh what a bunch of rpm rejects the gentoo lot are. pttui ! i spit on their piss ant distro.

I don't even know what to say here.  When I read these I was pretty annoyed with your generalizations and immaturity.

#12 2004-03-08 17:21:40

i3839

Please ignore the for you annoying posts, it one big waste of time for everyone, better to let it die silently. If someone starts talking in general terms and immature, then ignore it. It either means the person is an idiot and not worth your time, or that the person is frustrated and has some pretty bad experience with something, so better to not stir all the emotions.

#13 2004-03-08 17:55:26

jlowell

m33sb3w,

From another thread:sarah31 wrote:
i have no respect for the distro or the community as they are a snobby bunch of trash talkers.

feh what a bunch of rpm rejects the gentoo lot are. pttui ! i spit on their piss ant distro.

I don't even know what to say here. When I read these I was pretty annoyed with your generalizations and immaturity.

Yes, I'd have to agree. That "pttui ! i spit on their piss ant distro" comment has to hold a very special place in this forum's history. If you're patient, maybe in a few weeks someone will put together a Best Of Sarah page for us, one chock full of quotes similar to the one above and designed solely to attract new-comers to Arch. In the meantime, its best to leave her alone though, she's happy.  wink

jlowell

#14 2004-03-08 22:25:32

Arielext
Website

guys come on
we all have one big evil to fight, and that ain't gentoo or even mandrake wink

apt-get install arch

Board footer