You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-23 14:35:04

r0b0t

I have to replug the wifi-usb after I'v been on windows

There's this weird behavior happening with my wifi...
If I boot on windows then reboot to arch (dual-boot) lsusb doesn't show at all the wifi usb adapter.
If I unplug it and replug, it works as normal.
If i reboot from arch to arch, I don't have to do this operation. (replug the usb , since it's recognized).

I can tell that after I'v booted from windows the wifi is not on at all since the little green light isn't blinking.

Is there a way to workaround this thing?

Last edited by r0b0t (2019-04-23 14:36:15)

#2 2019-04-23 15:19:58

seth

#3 2019-04-23 21:31:17

r0b0t

Re: I have to replug the wifi-usb after I'v been on windows

It was disabled on UEFI firmware , it was the first thing I checked, however it wasn't disabled on windows, so I disabled it there to, rebooted twice to windows just to make sure and then back to arch.
That didn't fix the issue tho, I still have to replug the wifi-usb.
So,  fast-startup disabled both in windows and UEFI firmware.

I have CSM Support enabled,  don't know if this is the thing creating problems , but it shouldn't...

#4 2019-04-23 21:44:10

seth

Fwwi, the UEFI and windows setting are not the same and refer to entirely different things.
(Windows fast-boot is actually hibernation, leaving the HW in undefined states)

#5 2019-04-23 22:06:28

r0b0t

In any case the problem is still happening , fastboot disabled.
Any idea on what should I check next hmm?

#6 2019-04-24 07:27:38

seth

The behavior on a cold boot (except if you included that in linux-to-linux) and against a 3rd OS (eg. some live distro - you could also test the impact of CSM because you probably can select the mode for those?)

#7 2019-04-24 07:53:06

r0b0t

Without CSM I'll probably be unable to boot at all since it's basically whats supporting UEFI , and if I disable it UEFI entries disappear from the boot.
I'm as well suspecting that even with fastboot disabled, there's something that doesn't turns off/on the devices, there's a weird behavior with the ATI GPU as well - I'm adding this as a backstory:
When I first first started up this unit, the primary GPU was set to ATI, and the graphics were smooth on Linux (with ati), I don't remember exactly if the problem started after I installed windows or after I set the primary to intel, but:
- with the monitor plugged into ATI, if I boot at the beginning it says no interface detected, after the login it shows the DE but it's extremely laggish.
- works ok on windows
- works ok with inttel gpu on both...

returning to the main subject, I'm suspecting somehow fastboot isn't disabled even if I set it to disable and double checked. I'm saying this because when I boot to windows is almost as fast as Arch, which is very unusual. I'm unsure only because maybe is this machine (samsung evo pro 970 m.2) or fastboot itself is really enabled and doesn't correctly turns off the hardware....

#8 2019-04-24 07:58:18

seth

You shall not disable CSM globally but many systems allow you to select whether you want to boot in compatibility mode or not from a USB key.
Check your journal for warnings about an unclean NTFS partition (assuming you attempt to mount it) - if it is unsynced, windows is hibernating.

#9 2019-04-24 12:12:16

r0b0t

seth wrote:

You shall not disable CSM globally but many systems allow you to select whether you want to boot in compatibility mode or not from a USB key.
Check your journal for warnings about an unclean NTFS partition (assuming you attempt to mount it) - if it is unsynced, windows is hibernating.

Yes, the bios supports booting in legacy , but what should I be looking for inhere while booting from a live iso in legacy mode?
I did mount the windows installation disk (different times) when on arch (EFI / normal boot), but no errors or warnings whatsoever on the logs, which , probably just confirms that fastboot is indeed disabled.
I don't mind very much the problem in itself since I boot very rarely (if at all) on windows, but was curious since it's a weird problem and I was wanting to go to the bottom of it, the thing is there are not even logs to work with... It might as well have to do with the UEFI firmware.. (Gigabyte z390)
Boh, no idea.

Board footer