You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-26 14:22:06

Benjamin13

File dialogs make applications crash if started from a terminal

Hello,

I have a quite annoying problem on my different Arch machines.

If I start a graphical application from the terminal and then do something that should open a file dialog (like File-> Open File...), the application crashes with the following error message:

(atom:29757): Gtk-WARNING **: 16:00:10.701: Could not find the icon 'document-open-recent-symbolic-ltr'. The 'hicolor' theme
was not found either, perhaps you need to install it.
You can get a copy from:
	http://icon-theme.freedesktop.org/releases

(atom:29757): Gtk-WARNING **: 16:00:10.701: Could not load a pixbuf from /org/gtk/libgtk/icons/16x16/status/image-missing.png.
This may indicate that pixbuf loaders or the mime database could not be found.
Gtk:ERROR:gtkiconhelper.c:494:ensure_surface_for_gicon: assertion failed (error == NULL): Failed to load /org/gtk/libgtk/icons/16x16/status/image-missing.png: Unrecognized image file format (gdk-pixbuf-error-quark, 3)

And it does so with different applications (here Atom but also VS Code, Opera, and others).

However, if the application is started from my DE (Cinnamon) main menu, the file dialogs open just fine. It makes me think of en environment variable issue but I don't know which one could cause such an issue.

For the info, my icon set is Adwaita and if I run

locate document-open-recent-symbolic

I get the following results:

/usr/share/icons/Adwaita/16x16/actions/document-open-recent-symbolic.symbolic.png
/usr/share/icons/Adwaita/24x24/actions/document-open-recent-symbolic.symbolic.png
/usr/share/icons/Adwaita/32x32/actions/document-open-recent-symbolic.symbolic.png
/usr/share/icons/Adwaita/48x48/actions/document-open-recent-symbolic.symbolic.png
/usr/share/icons/Adwaita/64x64/actions/document-open-recent-symbolic.symbolic.png
/usr/share/icons/Adwaita/96x96/actions/document-open-recent-symbolic.symbolic.png
/usr/share/icons/Adwaita/scalable/actions/document-open-recent-symbolic.svg
/usr/share/icons/Numix/scalable/actions/document-open-recent-symbolic.svg
/usr/share/icons/Numix-Light/scalable/actions/document-open-recent-symbolic.svg

Any idea on how to solve this?

#2 2019-04-26 14:44:17

Ropid

Re: File dialogs make applications crash if started from a terminal

What about that "image-missing.png" that's mentioned in the error message? The message seems to say that the file is corrupted. You could try to find all "image-missing.png" files with 'locate', and then you could use "pacman -Qo ..." to find the packages that own those files, and then you could use "paccheck --md5sum ..." to see if there's corruption.

I came up with the following one-liner to do this 'locate' + 'pacman' + 'paccheck' idea:

paccheck --md5sum $(locate image-missing.png | pacman -Qoq - | sort -u)
$ paccheck --md5sum $(locate image-missing.png | pacman -Qoq - | sort -u)
adwaita-icon-theme: all files match mtree md5sums
faenza-icon-theme: all files match mtree md5sums
gnome-icon-theme: all files match mtree md5sums

#3 2019-04-26 16:07:41

Benjamin13

Thanks for the reply.

To me it seems that it tries to find the "document-open-recent-symbolic-ltr" icon and then fallback to "image-missing" and then crash.

I checked the files as you suggested but they are all ok. And since the apps works fine when started from the main menu, I don't think it comes from corrupted files.

#4 2019-04-28 09:22:26

Benjamin13

I finally found the issue, for some (long-forgotten) reason, I had this line in my ".zshrc":

export XDG_DATA_DIRS=$XDG_DATA_DIRS:$HOME/.local/share/flatpak/exports/share

Removing this export seems to solve my issue

Board footer