You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-28 03:53:58

jobym

plymouthd process does not terminate

I've got plymouth setup and working with gdm but after i boot into my system, htop shows that plymouthd is still running (and consuming about 5% CPU), command;

@usr/bin/plymouthd --mode=boot --pid-file=/run/plymouth/pid --attach-to-session

This also seems to be related to the fact that i can Ctrl+ALt+F# to get to a tty. After I manually kill it with pkill plymouthd, the process is gone and and I am able to switch to a tty.

Reading the ubuntu wiki page on plymouth it seems that plymouthd should automatically be stopped, but I don't understand how to transfer that over to arch.

#2 2019-05-05 17:15:41

Mortimer Houghton

Re: plymouthd process does not terminate

There seems to be a bug in plymouth (bug report).  I'm not sure there is anything you can do besides "sudo plymouth --quit".

You could try debugging and seeing if you can figure out what the problem is.  Post the logs here if you want help with it.

#3 2020-03-19 22:26:57

mikebutash

Oddly I'm seeing this as well after a fresh pacman -Syu from yesterday.  I see plymouthd consuming an entire core rabidly, and I have to kill it to make it bugger off.  Something occasionally relaunches it.  If I leave it running, it crashes my system eventually, particularly invoking anything that newly attaches to the gpu.

I did try checking and enabling/stopping "systemctl * plymouth-quit", but doesn't seem to work to kill the process when in run-away, and argues it doesn't need enabled.  At a bit of a loss how to get it to die properly.

Since upgrading, I've had to commonly reboot with a hard crash, but since manually killing plymouthd, it seems better, until it restarts again randomly.  Seems a bug I see occur throughout history back to 2015, not exactly sure how to keep this dead and no break my system.

#4 2020-04-01 05:31:47

bapperson

I am also seeing the same behavior, both with and without the latest systemd.

#5 2020-04-01 07:20:55

glitsj16

Seems to be a conflict between systemd 245 and plymouth. Things can be fixed by adding 'RemainAfterExit=yes' to the plymouth systemd files as reported here.

Board footer