You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-01 14:29:21

Janusz11

[SOLVED] Bluetooth: choppy/skipping sound

Hey there.

Recently I got myself a Bluetooth speaker, which I have hooked up with my ThinkPad Edge E145 laptop. Everything works except the sound, which is choppy and stops again and again.

The laptop has a Broadcom WLAN/Bluetooth 4.0 chip and I'm using the broadcom-wl driver.

I've tried both, pulseaudio and bluez-alsa-git (normally, I don't use pulse) but the sound is choppy with both. It also doesn't matter if the music file that I play is located on the laptop's SSD or the local NAS.

I suspect the reason could be the WLAN/Bluetooth combination. I've already tried switching WLAN to 5 GHz instead of 2,4 GHz. But unfortunately no dice either.

Has anyone here experienced similar problems and was able to fix them? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

By the way: I also have an old Nokia N900 phone, which also runs Linux and pulseaudio, and Bluetooth and sound is working trouble-free there.

Last edited by Janusz11 (2019-05-02 20:09:17)

#2 2019-05-02 07:26:40

NoMore201

Re: [SOLVED] Bluetooth: choppy/skipping sound

Have you tried playing something with the WiFi turned off? I have an intel wireless chip (intel 7260) and I notice better bluetooth quality with wifi turned off.
If for some reason I'm downloading something with wifi and at the same time using bluetooth, the download disrupts the bluetooth connection.

#3 2019-05-02 20:08:59

Janusz11

Re: [SOLVED] Bluetooth: choppy/skipping sound

NoMore201 wrote:

Have you tried playing something with the WiFi turned off?

I haven't, no, because I though after switching to 5 GHz without any luck that it wouldn't help switching the WLAN off.
But you were right. Switching WLAN off actually solved the problem. That way I can play music (from the SSD) without any problems.

Thanks! :-)

Board footer