You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-08 19:28:47

Ifnister

Mouse stuck at 125 Hz

I was trying to change the polling rate of a USB mouse as it is explained in the wiki:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mouse_polling_rate
However, nothing (plugging out and back in, rebooting, blacklisting xhci_hcd) worked out even though the change went through and

systool -m usbhid -A mousepoll

showed the correct value; evhz always shows 125 Hz. Following the wiki I checked and there are two modules with xhci enabled, xhci_pci and xhci_hcd. I tried disabling them, but then the mouse stops working. If I load ehci_pci (the module that should be in use when xhci_hcd isn't) the mouse does not work.
I'm using a Dell XPS with two USB ports, both 3.0, so I don't know if it is possible to use ehci_hcd instead of xhci_pci on those ports and then change the polling rate.
Any ideas?
Many thanks

#2 2019-05-08 20:21:47

Omar007

Re: Mouse stuck at 125 Hz

Did you see the note on that same page about USB3/xhci-hcd?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mo … t_changing

#3 2019-05-08 21:07:19

Ifnister

Yes, so I tried looking in the bios but there wasn't an option about xhci. Then I tried blacklisting xhci-hcd but then the mouse stops working. Also ehci-hcd was not loaded after booting as the wiki mentions. I tried loading ehci-hcd manually but the mouse wasn't working (even after plugging out and back in). I also tried with the two USB ports. It seems that as soon as xhci-hcd (more concretely, xhci-pci which depends on xhci-hcd) is disabled the mouse stops working. There is no output from lsusb when xhci-hcd is disabled (both when ehci is loaded and when it is not).

Last edited by Ifnister (2019-05-08 21:09:13)

#4 2019-05-08 21:31:49

Omar007

Ok then I take it the mouse itself also has no options for changing the polling rate.

If the BIOS also has no option, I suppose you have a very recent XPS model and it probably no longer has an EHCI Host Controller but only an xHCI Host Controller.
You can check this with `lspci`.

That would also explain why the ehci driver can't take over when you forcibly disable the xhci driver; there is no EHCI Host Controller present in your system that can take over those ports.

I'm afraid that doesn't leave you with much options other than a kernel fix or switch to a mouse that can change the polling rate on the mouse itself.

EDIT: Just for completeness sake, what Dell XPS model do you have and what mouse?

EDIT2: Some fun information on this subject but not really helping here; some CPUs (e.g. the i7 5930k) have both an EHCI and xHCI Host Controller and will also keep the EHCI one enabled even if you didn't disable USB3.0 in the BIOS. This allows you to even re-assign specific USB ports to it at runtime using PCI commands.

Last edited by Omar007 (2019-05-08 21:42:03)

#5 2019-05-09 06:30:00

Ifnister

The model is Dell XPS 9560 and it was bougth recently. The mouse is a cheap MSI Interceptor DS B1 and doesn't have an option to change the polling rate.

$ lspci | grep USB
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 100 Series/C230 Series Chipset Family USB 3.0 xHCI Controller (rev 31)

It seems that there is no EHCI. I guess that I only have the options of changing mouse or kernel patch. I will try this out later on an older laptop that I have; I remember it had USB 2.0 and USB 3.0.
Thanks for the help!

Board footer