You are not logged in.

#1 2006-08-31 02:51:00

arcane

Problem With Auto Loading Modules And Nvidia

Well I have old Nvidia card that seems to be giving me problems. The card is

01:07.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] (rev a1) 

The problem is that if I allow modules to be autoloaded my system will crash at boot. And it differs from crashes that i am used to seeing. Rather than going thru the whole boot and ending up at the login screen, I get a bunch of junk of the screen saying kernel panic. But unlike regular kernel panic errors it spits out a lot of lines and is stuck there.

Over six distros have failed to fully boot. Even the mighty knoppix couldnt get all the way thru. Debian and gentoo worked but for various reasons I dont want them for my system. Arch is my distro of choice. Why they work i dont know ? Maybe debian works due to they use old software. Gentoo well i have no clue, i used the installer to install cause i was lazy, but it installed w/ no problems??? Arch installed perfect as usually but upon boot fails.

Can anyone explain what i must do to get modules to autoload?

#2 2006-08-31 05:23:31

arcane

Re: Problem With Auto Loading Modules And Nvidia

Ok fixed it FINALLY. Many many many many thanks go to stonecrest from #archlinux for the solution.
he said to do

hwdetect --show-modules 

and then go thru and modprobe them untill one crashes my system. This is what i got

hwdetect --show-modules
AGP    : agpgart intel-agp
IDE    : ide-cd ide-core ide-disk generic piix
SCSI   : sd_mod
USB    : usb-storage usblp usbhid usbcore ehci-hcd uhci-hcd snd-usb-audio snd-usb-lib
NET    : ppp_generic slhc tulip
SOUND  : snd-mixer-oss snd-pcm-oss snd-seq-oss snd-seq-device snd-seq-midi-event snd-seq snd-hwdep snd-page-alloc snd-pcm snd-rawmidi snd-timer snd snd-ac97-bus snd-ac97-codec snd-ens1371 soundcore snd-usb-audio snd-usb-lib
VIDEO  : nvidia
OTHER  : cdrom hw_random lp ppdev rtc i2c-algo-bit i2c-i801 i2c-i810 i2c-core evdev gameport pcspkr serio_raw parport parport_pc pci_hotplug shpchp 

Luckly i didnt have to go thru all of themsince it was intel-agp that was causing all the pain. So now i have a better vid card than intergrated and Arch Linux!!!! lol

Board footer