You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-19 05:04:23

pellertson

[SOLVED] [Hardware] Any issues with Vega RX cards?

I am considering switching back to Arch after my horrible experience trying to get the latest version of the kernel on Debian Stretch.   I've used Arch in the past and I really like it!  I wanted to see if anyone on here has had or currently had any issues with using Arch with the latest graphics cards from AMD.  I don't think I'm looking for anything beyond the latest version of the Linux kernel.  But, then again, I'm not really knowledgeable on graphics drivers.  I just need to get my high-res monitor running on it.

Last edited by pellertson (2019-05-22 03:45:38)

#2 2019-05-19 14:31:56

Lone_Wolf

Re: [SOLVED] [Hardware] Any issues with Vega RX cards?

Majority of problems  appear to be with hybrid graphics setups or older/buggy uefi implementations .

What motherboard and processor do you have ?

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2019-05-19 14:40:24

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

pellertson wrote:

I wanted to see if anyone on here has had or currently had any issues with using Arch with the latest graphics cards from AMD.

I've just bought a laptop with a Vega 8 graphics card and it seems to work very well indeed with the amdgpu driver (better framerates in CS:GO than under Windows).

Off-topic for these boards but to get a 4.19 kernel version in Debian stretch see http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=139003 (you will also need the firmware-amd-graphics package from stretch-backports).

#4 2019-05-19 15:04:56

ewaller
Administrator

Moving to 'Kernel and Hardware'

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2019-05-20 00:24:48

pellertson

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Majority of problems  appear to be with hybrid graphics setups or older/buggy uefi implementations .

What motherboard and processor do you have ?

I have an MSI Z87-G45 Gaming motherboard and an Intel i5-4430.  My hardware is pretty old, except for my graphics card, but on Windows my games ran fine so I never felt the need to upgrade.  Maybe once I upgrade my motherboard & cpu, I'll notice any bottle necking issues. lol

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

I've just bought a laptop with a Vega 8 graphics card and it seems to work very well indeed with the amdgpu driver (better framerates in CS:GO than under Windows).

Good to know.  I figured that was the case but I wanted to check and see.

Board footer