You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-23 02:59:01

NginUS

Occasionally Reboot leads to halt in VirtualBox

I'm running Arch in VirtualBox 5.1.38 on a Linux Mint 18.3 host.

Sometimes if I reboot, it ends up halted after Grub.
Screenshot: https://files.catbox.moe/blynuz.png

If I shutdown then start, it's always fine. I haven't noticed what might be causing the reboot issue, seems random but I imagine its not. I know at least once I saw there was a fsck happening the following bootup, but I don't think that's consistent.

I tried installing the VirtualBox Guest Additions from the main repo, & its version (6x) doesn't match the VirtualBox version it's running in (5x). When it's installed the screen resolution always sets itself to 800x600 at boot no matter what I do, so I had to remove it. The built-in Guest Additions .iso fails to install properly, so I'm without Guest Additions of any kind so I don't know if that's related to this halt I see sometimes.

#2 2019-05-23 07:46:41

d_fajardo

Re: Occasionally Reboot leads to halt in VirtualBox

Have you checked the virtualbox archwiki page? There are separate entries there regarding Arch as host and Arch as guest. Did you try to install the arch-guest-utils? Also do you have the Virtualbox extension in your Linux Mint?

Last edited by d_fajardo (2019-05-23 07:48:04)

#3 2019-05-24 23:16:58

NginUS

d_fajardo wrote:

Have you checked the virtualbox archwiki page?

Yes, tried the virtualbox-guest-utils mentioned there & wound up with the 800x600 resolution because of the version mismatch. Used virtualbox-guest-modules-arch as opposed to the virtualbox-guest-dkms based on using the default kernel. I found it disappointing that the alternative method (Host iso) mentioned there also didn't work for me.

d_fajardo wrote:

There are separate entries there regarding Arch as host and Arch as guest. Did you try to install the arch-guest-utils?

I wasn't able to find a package called arch-guest-utils to be able to try that.

d_fajardo wrote:

Also do you have the Virtualbox extension in your Linux Mint?

No. I use it commercially on occasion & Oracle's licensing only comes in bulk, so that's not an option for me.

#4 2019-05-25 17:53:21

d_fajardo

I wasn't able to find a package called arch-guest-utils to be able to try that.

Sorry I meant virtualbox-guest-utils which you already have installed.
Have you tried fixing resolution via vboxmanage? Can you also post relevant viortualbox logs? They should be in your VM folder.

#5 2019-05-25 17:55:38

d_fajardo

Forgot to ask, is your Arch guest on EFI mode?

#6 2019-05-25 20:59:04

NginUS

d_fajardo wrote:

is your Arch guest on EFI mode?

No, just normal.

d_fajardo wrote:

Have you tried fixing resolution via vboxmanage?

I've got a couple scripts to start the VM headless, then to show it using 'VBoxManage controlvm setvideomodehint' to get the desired 1440x900 resolution. For reasons unknown to me, these work on other VMs, but not this one. I imagine its the version mismatch. Another thing that happens is that with the 'virtualbox-guest-utils' installed, even headless it starts at 800x600, & re-arranges all my desktop widgets that otherwise would be aligned properly- had it remained at 1440x900. So even if I was able to 'Show' it at 1440x900 there'd be a clump to realign every time.

With this in mind, it's just easier to do without the virtualbox-guest-utils, & use shutdown/start instead of reboot. Would be nice if it worked though.

d_fajardo wrote:

Can you also post relevant viortualbox logs?

Not sure if these'll contain anything useful, but here ya go anyway...

VBox.log:
https://sebsauvage.net/paste/?db415b61b … yZufhzBpc=

VBox.log.1:
https://sebsauvage.net/paste/?cd45b3343 … wb3GC3OdQ=

VBox.log.2:
https://sebsauvage.net/paste/?9435c00c0 … 28ZEQ44l0=

VBox.log.3:
https://sebsauvage.net/paste/?17868ff8e … e+OMprNz0=

Last edited by NginUS (2019-05-25 21:01:21)

#7 2019-05-25 21:34:09

WFV

There are two current versions of VirtualBox from Oracle and they do not mix. Arch official repositories package 6.0.8, there is some of the version 5 stuff in the AUR else install the packages from Oracle yourself.
I have an Arch guest on Arch host that does same thing you describe with startup and shutdown occasionally, haven't found out why or fixed it. I ran into problem updating the guest

pacman -Syu

since after kernel 4.20.13, GA stopped working - DDG'ing the Guest journal error messages (mostly vboxadd errors) I found there was an old 5.1.0 GA still in /opt (from 2016) and /usr/share symlinks to it were the problem. Removed them, reinstalled from the main repos "virtualbox-guest-modules-arch" and "virtualbox-guest-utils" and that fixed problem -screen resolution back to "scaled full-screen" instead of 800x600 and all GA functionality* restored. It was the last comment in that Virtualbox forum. You might consider upgrading your host to VirtualBox 6.0.8 first.
* except Shared Folders, those I have to set via fstab or mount over the LAN
EDIT: Also as you mention, the problem did not exist with any of the other guests on this machine (Fedora, Ubuntu, WinXP, Win7pro)

Last edited by WFV (2019-05-25 21:35:25)

∞ hard times make the strong, the strong make good times, good times make the weak, the weak make hard times ∞

Board footer