You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-28 17:45:30

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

[SOLVED] notmuch-vim: "E492: Not an editor command: NotMuch"

I've periodically tried to use [community]/notmuch-vim, but it has always failed with the error in the subject line.  I previously figured it just wasn't working, but it's been in community for quite a while and I see no other discussion of it failing - so it must be at my end.

I suspect it's something simple, but I just have no idea where to look.  All documentation I can find suggests that `vim -c NotMuch` or starting vim and entering the command :NotMuch should get it started - but I just get the error "Not and editor command: NotMuch".

The runtime path does include the location of the notmuch.vim file:

set rtp?
runtimepath=~/.vim,/usr/share/vim/vimfiles,/usr/share/vim/vim81,/usr/share/vim/vimfiles/after,~/.vim/after

I am using vim-minimal, but I also tried installing gvim and had the same results with that.

I've tried moving my ~/.vimrc and ~/.vim/ to have defaults only, and the NotMuch command still fails with the same error.

Please let me know what other diagnostics could be relevant.

Last edited by Trilby (2019-06-01 21:19:52)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#2 2019-06-01 21:03:37

Stefan Husmann

Re: [SOLVED] notmuch-vim: "E492: Not an editor command: NotMuch"

According to the README [1] this is the command to start notmuch in vim:

gvim -c ':NotMuch'

I am not a vim user and have installed vim just to test this. It works for me with plain vim

vim -c ':NotMuch'

Edit: Just read that you use vim-minimal, whatever it is. Does it have ruby support?

[1] https://git.notmuchmail.org/git?p=notmu … ME;hb=HEAD

Last edited by Stefan Husmann (2019-06-01 21:07:34)

#3 2019-06-01 21:19:40

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Thanks for the reply.  As noted in the first post, I also tried gvim, and that failed too.  And while vim from the repos is built with ruby support, ruby is an optional dependency of vim.  But based on that link, I installed ruby and now NotMuch works fine.

It looks like ruby is a hard dependency of notmuch-vim and ruby-mail is also necessary for proper functioning, but neither of these are listed by the package.  I'll open a packaging bug for notmuch-vim.

EDIT: bug report.

EDIT 2: oh joy, now that I can use it, I find that it's buggy as all hell spitting out error message after error message about deprecated functions while many documented options do nothing at all.  Oh well, that was fun.

Last edited by Trilby (2019-06-01 21:32:50)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#4 2019-06-01 23:46:35

Stefan Husmann

The main client for nutmuch is the emacs based one. Maybe upstream should put more love into the other ones.

#5 2019-06-02 00:10:09

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Oh I still use notmuch ... quite extensively.  It's rock solid software in my book, it's just notmuch-vim that isn't measuring up.

I just happened to start working on a project that has goals very similar to what notmuch-vim seems intended to do.  So I figured I might be reinventing the wheel and could be better off just using notmuch-vim.  I'll just keep going with my project.

Board footer