You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-16 10:24:36

cynicfm
Banned

[Solved]What use there can be with GPU Nvidia Geforce 940mx?

Hey

I have got this laptop that i bought for games in mind about 2 years ago. I wasn't satisfied with windows so i got into Linux.
However the laptop i use here is Nvidia Optimus, so there is Intel Kaby Lake HD620 and this Nvidia Geforce 940mx

I have to say that i can use this Geforce with bumblebee however i am not fan of heat, for me temps more than 60-65 is dangerous, for the battery. Therefore it seems like using it to play games not the newest but Diablo3 Gothic 3 etc. is not desired.

I used search engine with question what can you use gpu for however i am still looking for some info. At the moment the GeForce GPU is pretty useless, so i would like to make use of it however i wonder it can be used without generating so much heat???
I dont use steam and other 3rd party clients therefore most of linux games aren't available for me.
Thanks

Last edited by cynicfm (2019-06-26 07:37:02)

Have a good day

#2 2019-06-16 11:11:27

seth

Re: [Solved]What use there can be with GPU Nvidia Geforce 940mx?

Video en/decoding. CUDA.

65°C *GPU* temperature is not a problem at all.
The question is how hot other components get (which is largely related to the heat isolation in the device), notably the chassis, HDDs (SDDs take much more) and yes, the battery of course.

#3 2019-06-16 11:13:03

ugjka
Website

Why do you believe those temps are dangerous?

https://ugjka.net
paru > yay | webcord > discord
pacman -S spotify-launcher
mount /dev/disk/by-...

#4 2019-06-16 12:07:06

cynicfm
Banned

Ok cheers

Well i am being paranoid about battery in my laptop.The bad stuff is even when i keep cpu temperatures at 35-45 at all times, the battery capacity is still going down. In a week it changed from 65.1 to 64.9% ;/. The crap thing is that sometimes i go out to watch movies in nature and i dont wanna waste this battery...

Although i think i should just get some laptop for mobile stuff that has easily replaceable battery and more capacity (5000+ mAh) maybe lenovo thinkpad x60... Here this laptop has some panasonic 2800mAh it's pretty garbage. So perhaps maybe i shouldnt think about the battery dying and start use this gpu instead

I remember when i played diablo 3 using this GPU with nvidia prime on linux mint i had about 85 degrees... I only wonder what temperatures start to harm battery really badly...\

edit: for most things i have got in this laptop intel hd620 is about to be enough... Should i really try to configure PRIME and get better performance but in exchange for battery life, that's the question :S

ugjka wrote:

Why do you believe those temps are dangerous?

when its hot outdoors cuz its summer and mid europe so it feels like desert, and having laptop connected to AC generates too much unwanted heat... 35-45 oC for me in the laptop is about to be enough...

Last edited by cynicfm (2019-06-16 12:10:39)

Have a good day

#5 2019-06-16 12:36:16

ugjka
Website

I remember when i played diablo 3 using this GPU with nvidia prime on linux mint i had about 85 degrees... I only wonder what temperatures start to harm battery really badly...

Is there by any chance a thermal sensor in the battery? Or get an infrared temperature reader and check how hot the battery gets on full load.
Without evidence that the battery is severely affected your arguments is just superstition.

Can you post the make and model of your laptop?

mount /dev/disk/by-...

#6 2019-06-16 16:02:32

cynicfm
Banned

ugjka wrote:

I remember when i played diablo 3 using this GPU with nvidia prime on linux mint i had about 85 degrees... I only wonder what temperatures start to harm battery really badly...

Is there by any chance a thermal sensor in the battery? Or get an infrared temperature reader and check how hot the battery gets on full load.
Without evidence that the battery is severely affected your arguments is just superstition.

Can you post the make and model of your laptop?

I don't really know if there is any thermal sensor :( . And do they sell these readers in PC store??

it's all based on what stats there are when i type sensors command. I think it shows CPU only, isnt it??

oh that's good to know. Well i am saying that high temperature of GPU affects the battery because i read about that in many articles when i was searching the term on duckduckgo, that the heat kills the battery... I don't know why once when i have been using one arch based distro for a while, battery capacity increased from about 68% to 71. However i remember that when i have played counter strike global offensive on linux mint for short period of time, about a week maybe, capacity of battery decreased rapidly from 73 to 68 or something like that in a week!! (Not exact numbers but something like that). I have used windows too and heat was tremendous, i think when i got into linux and found out about tlp-stat maybe last year there was already design capacity about 75%.

Not sure if the laptop is good or not, back in a day i wanted something for gaming and budget was limited i went to retail shop and guy adviced me getting that one: Acer Asprire F5-573G, battery is Panasonic AS16A5K. From what i searched on internet, it is hard to get replaceable battery for this model, it's also hard to swap for new one, cuz whole laptop needs to be unscrewed first.
That wouldn't be a problem if i wasn't going out very often to watch movies, but perhaps solution for this would be to get some used Lenovo Thinkpad for which batteries with 5xxx mAh are piss cheap, about 25 bucks on ebay and forget about the battery in this laptop or i could simply take it out and put it somewhere then i can use the GPU and not worry that i am breaking something.

Sorry if this is offtopic post, i am not willing to break the forum rules. Well if i was buying a laptop today i'd definitely not bother with GPU but get more ram ssd and battery too, however i have bought 8GB DDR4 ram stick for this model last week so right now i have got 12GB ram :-) . And HDD can be replaced for SSD easily too and they're very cheap too, 280GB SSD is about 30 bucks in one shop.
Worrying stuff for me is that for example i have got games like Battlefield 2 or Gothic 3 on CD/DVD and let's say i play Gothic 3 on maximum details (using wine) and i check temps and it's 67 (celsius degrees) and that puts me off playing that and i am like oh fk that i am gonna play some linux open source games because they don't heat so much but then i am stuck cuz omg i have got this nvidia geforce and im not even using it...

In the meantime lots of people on internet told me that AMD gpu's are better for Linux, cuz they have got open-source drivers.

I also wonder if for example let's say i play warcraft 3 and there would be any difference in performance and quality if i open it under nvidia GPU rather than Intel. And also nvidia is proprietary drivers, Intel is open-source so that does make difference too, doesn't it?? however i have never got higher temperatures with Intel than 65 degrees, Geforce was able to reach 100oC and more!!! (with diablo 3 under PRIME i think).
Maybe the fact is that the GPU i have got in this laptop is piece of garbage and i can have no use of it after all???

Thanks

Last edited by cynicfm (2019-06-16 16:06:10)

Have a good day

#7 2019-06-16 16:14:10

ugjka
Website

Install "lm_sensors" package and post the output of "sensors" command

mount /dev/disk/by-...

#8 2019-06-16 16:36:51

cynicfm
Banned

ugjka wrote:

Install "lm_sensors" package and post the output of "sensors" command

Yeah i have got it installed and temperatures i mention in this topic are based on sensors output tongue

However here you go!!!

[root@cnfm filip]# sensors
nouveau-pci-0100
Adapter: PCI adapter
GPU core:     +0.60 V  (min =  +0.60 V, max =  +1.20 V)
temp1:         -0.0 C  (high = +95.0 C, hyst =  +3.0 C)
                       (crit = +105.0 C, hyst =  +5.0 C)
                       (emerg = +135.0 C, hyst =  +5.0 C)

acpitz-acpi-0
Adapter: ACPI interface
temp1:        +35.0 C 

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Package id 0:  +34.0 C  (high = +100.0 C, crit = +100.0 C)
Core 0:        +34.0 C  (high = +100.0 C, crit = +100.0 C)
Core 1:        +34.0 C  (high = +100.0 C, crit = +100.0 C)

pch_skylake-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +33.5 C

Core 0: Core1: Not sure why it shows two cores only if CPU is 4, however for example Gothic 3 65 degrees, wesnoth if i don't type export export OMP_WAIT_POLICY="passive" can get temps like 55 for me this is worrying yikes. Maybe i am too paranoid

Have a good day

#9 2019-06-16 16:42:39

ugjka
Website

Ok, let's try something else... Install "acpi" package and post the output of "acpi -V"

On my laptop this shows battery's temperature

[ugjka@archee ddos]$ acpi -V
Battery 0: Full, 100%
Battery 0: design capacity 4400 mAh, last full capacity 2027 mAh = 46%
Adapter 0: on-line
Thermal 0: ok, 52.5 degrees C
Thermal 0: trip point 0 switches to mode critical at temperature 102.0 degrees C
Cooling 0: Processor 0 of 10
Cooling 1: Processor 0 of 10

Last edited by ugjka (2019-06-16 16:43:32)

mount /dev/disk/by-...

#10 2019-06-16 17:12:28

cynicfm
Banned

ugjka wrote:

Ok, let's try something else... Install "acpi" package and post the output of "acpi -V"

On my laptop this shows battery's temperature

oh ok nice command :-)

[root@cnfm Downloads]# acpi -V
Battery 0: Full, 100%
Battery 0: design capacity 2800 mAh, last full capacity 1816 mAh = 64%
Thermal 0: ok, 40.0 degrees C
Thermal 0: trip point 0 switches to mode passive at temperature 120.0 degrees C
Cooling 2: pch_skylake no state information available
Cooling 3: Processor 0 of 10
Cooling 4: intel_powerclamp no state information available
Cooling 5: Processor 0 of 10
Cooling 6: x86_pkg_temp no state information available

It's not so bad but well i haven't got gothic 3 installed at the moment therefore i would turn it on and see what's the temperature of battery after 15 minutes of playing it.
However i might get nvidia drivers in a bit and play battle for wesnoth that causes cpu temperature to be about 60 degrees so ill check if battery temp will increase as well smile

Thanks for help, ugjka smile

Last edited by cynicfm (2019-06-16 17:12:46)

Have a good day

#11 2019-06-25 19:06:09

cynicfm
Banned

Ok i think the problem perhaps was connected to shutting the laptop down

i started to use just suspend/hybernate and the capacity increased to 71% from 64% which is nice to me, and i keep having laptop at 65 degrees all the time cuz i play some games, so i am happy with this and thanks for help smile

problem solved ;D

$ acpi -V
Battery 0: Charging, 85%, 00:18:54 until charged
Battery 0: design capacity 2800 mAh, last full capacity 1999 mAh = 71%
Thermal 0: ok, 63.0 degrees C
Thermal 0: trip point 0 switches to mode passive at temperature 120.0 degrees C
Cooling 2: pch_skylake no state information available
Cooling 3: Processor 0 of 10
Cooling 4: intel_powerclamp no state information available
Cooling 5: Processor 0 of 10
Cooling 6: x86_pkg_temp no state information available

Last edited by cynicfm (2019-06-25 19:06:55)

Have a good day

#12 2019-06-25 19:15:30

seth

Please always remember to mark resolved threads by editing your initial posts subject - so others will know that there's no task left, but maybe a solution to find.
Thanks.

Board footer