You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-24 04:18:34

matthew02

[SOLVED] CUPS working but Brother HL-2240D doesn't actually print

I have a KVM Arch server that I recently set up for file and print serving. I have CUPS installed and it is running fine. I have installed the AUR package brother-hl2240d which is the LPR and CUPSwrapper drivers. The printer is shared and other clients can see it and print to it. The web interface operates fine and I can print test pages. I can even print with lpr from the terminal. Each time I try to print, my UPS clicks, my printer flashes on and prepares to print, the job leaves the print queue as complete, the printer waits a moment and then spins back down without printing anything. I know the device works because I have a KVM Centos7 setup that I can spin up and print anytime. The systems are as close to identical as I could get them, being different distributions. The CUPS configs are the same, the ppd is the same, most of the same files are installed. The Brother website has deb and rpm installers that work fine on those other distros. The AUR package downloads those exact same drivers. I suspect it's a driver issue or maybe some 32-bit library that I'm missing, but after struggling with this for a few days, I am at an impasse. Does anyone have any ideas to get this working? Any info I can provide which might be helpful? Thanks for reading.

Edit: I needed to install ghostscript.

Last edited by matthew02 (2019-06-25 00:56:59)

#2 2019-06-24 06:59:38

seth

Re: [SOLVED] CUPS working but Brother HL-2240D doesn't actually print

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CU … troduction
Check whether and which filter fails (you probably don't even need the debug log level, just look into the existing logs) and if so poke that executable a bit (eg. "ldd /path/to/filter" for unresolvable libraries)

#3 2019-06-24 23:52:23

matthew02

Thanks for the help, Seth. I was about at my wit's end with this, but your prompting made me pick through the log files a little more and find the solution. As it turns out, the missing dependency was ghostscript. It feels like that maybe should have been a dependency in the driver package? CUPS was also complaining about missing colord, even though it's a monochrome printer.

I'm so thankful to have it working again. I really appreciate your help.

#4 2019-06-25 02:51:27

seth

Yes, should. You might want to give the AUR maintainer a heads up in the AUR comments.

#5 2019-06-25 18:12:49

matthew02

Done and done. Thanks, again!

Board footer