You are not logged in.

#1 2004-02-06 15:20:50

srey

error on first boot about devpts filesystem

i just installed arch for the first time last night.   i see errors when booting under the 'mount local filesystems' heading that say something to the effect of:

devpts not supported by kernel

i'm running arch 0.6 with the 2.4.24 kernel

to fix this, i commented out the line in /etc/fstab that referenced devpts

is this ok?   the errors are gone, and i haven't noticed any problems.

Arch 0.6 - Kernel 2.6.5 - Fluxbox 0.9.8

#2 2004-02-06 15:39:11

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: error on first boot about devpts filesystem

The devpts line is there for 2.6 kernels.  It's fine to remove it for 2.4, just remember to put it back when you want to use 2.6.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#3 2004-02-06 16:16:53

srey

Re: error on first boot about devpts filesystem

thanks, that's what i thought.

by the way, what a great distro you have here.   clean, fast, simple.   looks like everything i always wanted.   without a week of compiling time!

i'm suprised more people don't know about it, because if they did, it would take off like gentoo did.   i'll get the word out around san diego about arch!

being able to edit the config files DURING the install is brilliant.   don't know why some others don't do that. 

i did an FTP install from the CD, and had a base system installed in under 20 minutes!

it took me 18 hours to get to the same point on gentoo.   then i quit because i dreaded the compile that would be needed to emerge xfree.

keep up the good work!

Arch 0.6 - Kernel 2.6.5 - Fluxbox 0.9.8

Board footer