You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-22 20:00:17

Exobit

Can't mount /boot/efi after installation

Hi,

Im brand new to arch but would classify myself experienced with linux, so i would try to dance with arch a little which i love by far.

I just installed arch and partitioned with GPT. Made a:
sdb1: /mnt/boot/efi
sdb2: /mnt
sdb3: swap

But everytime i boot up after the installment, its failing to mount /boot/efi.
The output is

boot-efi.mount - /boot/efi
  Loaded: loaded (/etc/fstab; generated)
  Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since......not going to paste that
    Where: /boot/efi
      What: /dev/disk/by-uuid/5F6A-2ED7
      Docs: man:fstab(5)
                man:systemd-fstab-generator(8)

Mounting /boot/efi...
mount: /boot/efi: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.
boot.efi.mount: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Failed to mount /boot/efi

Its a EFI partition with type FAT32

Anyone got an idea?

Thanks in advance

#2 2019-07-22 20:28:20

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: Can't mount /boot/efi after installation

Your booted kernel doesn't have the matching kernel modules installed. Downgrade your Linux package to match the version reported by 'uname -a', then you'll be able to mount your ESP again.

Mod note: not an installation issue, moving to NC.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#3 2019-07-22 20:53:39

Exobit

WorMzy wrote:

Your booted kernel doesn't have the matching kernel modules installed. Downgrade your Linux package to match the version reported by 'uname -a', then you'll be able to mount your ESP again.

Mod note: not an installation issue, moving to NC.

Is there a way to install compatible modules, or havent they been made compatible yet?

#4 2019-07-23 16:51:28

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

I was terse as I was posting from a phone, I also jumped to some conclusions based on your symptoms which was a little presumptuous so allow me to elaborate.

Arch doesn't keep old kernel modules around. When you update your kernel package (be it 'linux', 'linux-lts', 'linux-zen', etc), the old kernel image and it's corresponding modules are removed, and the new image and modules are installed. Somehow you have managed to update your kernel modules without updating the kernel image, presumably because it is located on your ESP. Running `uname -r` and  `pacman -Q linux` (depending on your kernel package) and comparing the version numbers would confirm if this is indeed the case.

If my theory turns out to be correct, then downgrading your kernel package to the version reported by uname would re-install the compatible modules*, which will then allow you to mount your ESP and investigate further. In particular, an important question is: how did this desynchronisation of image and modules happen? Why is the kernel image installed to the ESP out-of-date? What is your bootloader, and how is it configured?

* Use your pacman cache or the ALA to achieve this

Last edited by WorMzy (2019-07-23 16:52:46)

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#5 2019-07-23 17:52:51

Maniaxx

Please post the content of 'boot-efi.mount' and your fstab. For me it looks like you're rather trying to mount as ext4 instead of vfat. It might also do so if not explicitly defined.
I don't see any relation to outdated kmods. This usually would end up as segfault or missing symbols.

sys2064

Board footer