You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-23 13:48:39

Zayed_

[SOLVED] Arch Linux not booting after fresh install

I've been trying to install Arch Linux, I tried it a few times, from the Arch Linux beginners guide, tried GRUB first as boot loader, then rEFInd, and now gummiboot (or systemd-boot). I thought it was a boot loader problem at first, but I'm not very sure now after more than 25 tries. I had a BIOS, which I upgraded and it got the UEFI boot functionality. I'm installing Arch using UEFI/GPT. Arch does not boot at all. Doesn't show a GRUB menu or anything else, and when I tried rEFInd, the only option it did show was to reboot into firmware interface and that only opened my BIOS settings and I get the same now in gummiboot. The boot order seems fine, and I've uploaded it to pastebin, with fdisk -l result, and my fstab. Links are below. Could somebody help me out? I installed Fedora just to see if it was a UEFI problem but Fedora installed and ran just fine. Thanks in advance. This thing's got me really puzzled, but I hope it will teach me a thing or two while getting it fixed. I'm sorta tired of reinstalling now. Thanks again

Fstab: http://sprunge.us/jjnpIp
Fdisk -l: http://sprunge.us/o5OgWs
efibootmgr -v: http://sprunge.us/cRMuHN

P.S: I'm a noob, so please go easy on me

Last edited by Zayed_ (2019-07-25 02:09:14)

"Never give up!" - Anonymous

#2 2019-07-23 14:09:44

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Arch Linux not booting after fresh install

You need to configure your bootloader; systemd-boot requires the kernels/initramfs' to be on the ESP, which I'm guessing they aren't.

#3 2019-07-23 14:11:31

Bojahdok

Hi, I had a similar problem during my install, Arch just wouldn't show up on my GRUB boot loader.
My mystake was that I didn't chroot into where I wanted to place my root so when I used pacstrap it didn't work like it was supposed to.
Maybe you should try that (you can still do it without reinstalling everything)

#4 2019-07-23 14:12:33

Scimmia
Fellow

Bojahdok wrote:

Hi, I had a similar problem during my install, Arch just wouldn't show up on my GRUB boot loader.
My mystake was that I didn't chroot into where I wanted to place my root so when I used pacstrap it didn't work like it was supposed to.

I'm sorry, but that makes no sense. You don't chroot before pacstrap.

#5 2019-07-23 14:32:48

Bojahdok

Scimmia wrote:
Bojahdok wrote:

I'm sorry, but that makes no sense. You don't chroot before pacstrap.

Well, my memories probably mixed-up but I had a problem during my installation because I did something wrong with pacstrap, maybe the thing I did wrong was the thing I told him to do, and I fixed it afterwards.
My mistake, sorry.

#6 2019-07-24 01:23:57

Zayed_

Scimmia wrote:

You need to configure your bootloader; systemd-boot requires the kernels/initramfs' to be on the ESP, which I'm guessing they aren't.

I will try that, thank you. I read that in the wiki, but forgot about it. Pardon me for asking, but that would not explain why GRUB or rEFInd refused to work. Any idea why? I'll let you know once I copy the kernel and initramfs to the esp, and if it works. Thanks for the help

#7 2019-07-24 01:37:43

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

"refused to work" is not an error message.  But it actually would explain it if you didn't configure them either.  Any bootloader/bootmanager requires configuration - not a one of them "work" simply by installing their package.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#8 2019-07-24 02:00:56

Zayed_

Sorry. I know its my fault not configuring it properly. Could you tell me what it means by put the kernel command line into a file? I get kernels commands line.text: No such file or directory when I run the objcopy command. Am I supposed to copy the proc/cmdline file contents to /somewhere/kernel-command-line.txt. Thanks for the replies, guys. So, what do I do now?

Last edited by Zayed_ (2019-07-24 02:03:13)

#9 2019-07-24 02:10:16

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Zayed_ wrote:

Could you tell me what it means by put the kernel command line into a file?

No.  What context is that coming from?  In each bootloader/bootmanager you would have a configuration file that would include among other things command line options for the kernel.  But simply putting a kernel command line into a file is meaningless on it's own.

Zayed_ wrote:

I get kernels commands line.text: No such file or directory when I run the objcopy command.

And why are you running an 'objcopy command', and precisely what command?

Zayed_ wrote:

Am I supposed to copy the proc/cmdline file contents to /somewhere/kernel-command-line.txt.

No.  You are supposed to follow the wiki instructions for the bootloader/bootmanager of your choice.  And if you want help from us, you'll need to clue us in on which one you chose, and what instructions you're following as none of what you are putting in this thread is making much - if any - sense.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#10 2019-07-24 10:56:55

Zayed_

Trilby wrote:

No.  You are supposed to follow the wiki instructions for the bootloader/bootmanager of your choice.  And if you want help from us, you'll need to clue us in on which one you chose, and what instructions you're following as none of what you are putting in this thread is making much - if any - sense.

Terribly sorry. I really am. I'm following the instructions from the systemd-boot in Arch Linux wiki, which has the objcopy command for packaging kernel and initrd for gummiboot. This is the link: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd-boot

Again, I'm very sorry. I didn't think it wouldn't make sense to you since you guys are probably experts. I hope this clears it

#11 2019-07-24 12:15:30

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

That section is flagged as being poorly written and not even belonging on that page - it is not relevant if you are using an arch kernel.

Last edited by Trilby (2019-07-24 12:16:14)

#12 2019-07-24 13:42:22

Zayed_

Trilby wrote:

That section is flagged as being poorly written and not even belonging on that page - it is not relevant if you are using an arch kernel.

Why hasn't anyone edited it yet? I mean, you seem pretty good at this, and I'm sure there are many others too who could.

I'm trying a reinstall again. Still figuring out if I am overly patient or the opposite. Anyway, this time I'm mounting the esp at /boot. Last time I tried booting after copying the kernel and initrd, it dumped me to rootfs. Do you know why? I am reinstalling, but it would be nice to be informed. Thanks for all your help, really.

Last edited by Zayed_ (2019-07-24 13:43:48)

#13 2019-07-24 13:58:37

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Zayed_ wrote:

Do you know why?

No.  My crystal ball is in the shop.

It doesn't matter how much experience anyone here has, we don't know anything about what you've done other than what you tell us.  This thread has been about as clear as mud.  We know you are having trouble installing a bootloader/manager, and only now do we kow you seem to be working on systemd-boot (and now we just got a tidbit about how you are mounting one partition), but other than that we couldn't have the foggiest idea what you have actually done.

We are here to help, but there is no magic.  We can't see what you are doing.

Walk us through step by step what commands you are using and why as well as any output or errors they generate.  Follow the wiki for systemd-boot if that's what you want to use, but read it carefully.  Don't jump to the bottom of the page and copy-and-paste a random non-applicable command with a big warning sign above it that effectively says not to use it.

Last edited by Trilby (2019-07-24 13:59:36)

#14 2019-07-24 15:12:24

Zayed_

Trilby wrote:

Walk us through step by step what commands you are using and why as well as any output or errors they generate.  Follow the wiki for systemd-boot if that's what you want to use, but read it carefully.  Don't jump to the bottom of the page and copy-and-paste a random non-applicable command with a big warning sign above it that effectively says not to use it.

Okay. I'll start from the beginning. I use dd to create a bootable media from arch iso, from Ubuntu live CD. Then I booted up using the arch bootable USB I created and created all those partitions using parted. Then I formatted them, the first one as fat32, second and fourth as ext4 and made the third a swap partition. Sizes are already given in pastebin output. Then I went ahead and mounted sda2 (the 50GB partition) on /mnt. And sda4 at /mnt/home and sda1 at /boot by creating their respective directories. Then I used 'pacstrap /mnt base base-devel' to install it. Then I generated the fstab using 'genfstab -U /mnt >> /mnt/etc/fstab. I chrooted into arch and ran 'pacman -S efibootmgr intel-ucode'. Then in ran the command 'bootctl --path=/boot install'. All of this went without any errors. Then I created and edited arch.conf using the info from this website and a couple others. Then I typed in 'bootctl --path=/boot update' and after that, efibootmgr -v, which got the response pasted above. Then I set a root password and exited chroot, unmounted and rebooted and it dumped me into rootfs, showing some messages like 'new_root not found, searching for PARTUUID=XXXX, [sdb] assuming drive cache write through' and some others. That's all. Thanks in advance

#15 2019-07-24 15:14:37

loqs

What is the contents of the arch.conf  you created?

#16 2019-07-24 15:22:38

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Thanks.  Please do not use third party guides when the wiki covers a topic well:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Systemd-boot

However, I quickly skimmed your link and I don't see any obvious issues.  You don't mention editing 'loader.conf' but I gather you did or you'd not have got as far as you did in the boot process.  Also I gather there was a typo in this last post where you said you mounted sda1 at /boot, did you mean you mounted it at /mnt/boot?  And in either case, do you have a new fstab different from what's in your first post now?

The error you describe in this last post is due to a problem in your arch.conf on the "options" line where you specify the root partition.  But as you put XXXX in place of the actual error, it's hard to interpret further.  Note, however, that PARTUUID and UUID are not the same thing, so if your arch.conf include "options   root=PARTUUID=XXXX" with XXXX as the UUID of your root partition, that would explain the problem.

#17 2019-07-24 23:47:43

Zayed_

Thanks, friend. I think that's it. But I still can't get it right. I tried blkid -p and took the PARTUUID from it. The value was at PART_ENTRY_UUID was '60c40ab4-e999-4114-b464-ef4d7ffbaa7c'. It still gives the same message. Any tips? And I did edit the loader.conf, and I mounted esp at /mnt/boot, and I do have a different fstab now

#18 2019-07-25 00:04:04

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Please show the relevant blkid or lsblk output, your arch conf, and the actual error message.

Note that you don't need to using PARTUUID's in your systemd-boot config, you just need the id to match what you say it is: you can use a UUID as long as you call it a UUID not a PARTUUID.

#19 2019-07-25 01:10:01

Zayed_

Trilby wrote:

Please show the relevant blkid or lsblk output, your arch conf, and the actual error message

Output of blkid -p: http://sprunge.us/svdnSG
Output of lsblk -fs: http://sprunge.us/0nA39G
My arch.conf: http://sprunge.us/0Ghkeb

Error messages (I'm including all messages shown on boot):
:: running early hook [udev]
Starting version 242.84-1-arch
:: running hook [udev]
:: Triggering uevents...
[   1.594259] usb 2-1-port1: over-current condition
[   1.807680] usb 2-1-port2: over-current condition
[   2.021067] USB 2-1-port3: over-current condition
Waiting 10 seconds for device /dev/disk/by-partuuid/60c40ad4-e999-4114-b464-ef4d7ffbaa7c ...
[   2.234301] usb 2-1-port4: over-current condition
ERROR: device 'PARTUUID=60c40ad4-e999-4114-b464-ef4d7ffbaa7c' not found. Skipping fsck.
:: mounting 'PARTUUID=60c40ad4-e999-4114-b464-ef4d7ffbaa7c' on real root
mount: /new_root: can't find PARTUUID=60c40ad4-e999-4114-b464-ef4d7ffbaa7c.
You are now being dropped into an emergency shell.
sh: can't access tty; job control turned off
[rootfs ]#

Are you suggesting I should go with UUID instead?

#20 2019-07-25 01:20:54

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Hmm, that all looks good.  You can use UUIDs, that's always been my preference - but it will not likely make any difference here.  Do you know what those over-current warnings are from?  Do you have a usb device plugged in drawing more power than it should?  I'm not sure if those would be relevant to this issue, but it's possible.

edit: oops - see below, there is a mismatch, unless that was a typo on the forum as I gather you had to type out the error message manually.

Last edited by Trilby (2019-07-25 01:35:37)

#21 2019-07-25 01:23:53

loqs

When you are dropped to the emergency shell what is the output of

ls /dev/disk/by-partuuid/

The PARTUUID matches from blkid,  the UUID does not match that listed in fstab strangely enough.
Edit:
Correction different 7th character

60c40ad4-e999-4114-b464-ef4d7ffbaa7c
60c40ab4-e999-4114-b464-ef4d7ffbaa7c

Last edited by loqs (2019-07-25 01:27:03)

#22 2019-07-25 01:36:13

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

loqs, we haven't seen the current fstab.  The one in the first post has been replaced.

#23 2019-07-25 02:08:24

Zayed_

loqs wrote:

The PARTUUID matches from blkid,  the UUID does not match that listed in fstab strangely enough.
Edit:
Correction different 7th character

Output of ls /dev/disk/by-partuuid: http://sprunge.us/EjU06v
Current fstab: http://sprunge.us/G3ybyx

Thanks! It's fixed! Stupid spelling mistake. There really should be an option to copy it. Or maybe I should have used echo to write it to the file. Anyway, thanks, you guys.

Board footer