You are not logged in.

#1 2004-02-07 00:54:35

rberry88

Lilo took over my Grub

I did a fresh install of Arch Linux and chose Grub as my boot loader and it worked without a hitch. Then today I installed kernel 2.6 and edited my /boot/grub/menu.lst file accordingly and rebooted. When I rebooted, instead of grub coming up Lilo came up with ARCH as the only option showing. I chose Arch and it booted just fine but I would prefer to use Grub as I have other OS's/distros that I boot (multi-boot) and find it easier to manage with Grub.

I've tried logging in as root and running grub and I put "root (hd0,2) and setup (hd0)" and it tells me that Grub installed successfully but when I reboot Lilo is still there.

My discs are as follows:

hda = Lite-On CDRW
hdb = hdb1 Windows XP
         hdb2 Swap
         hdb3 root 

Right now I just have WinXP and Arch Linux installed but Lilo won't leave me alone and let me use Grub.

Any ideas.

rberry88

#2 2004-02-07 01:31:04

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Lilo took over my Grub

Did you do a make install after building from source?  That's why.

If you install the arch 2.6 package or copied the proper files instead of using make install then you'd still have grub.  To reinstall grub try grub-install.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#3 2004-02-07 02:49:59

rberry88

Not sure what you mean of where I should have done a "make install" after building from sources?? After I re-compiled the kernel I did a "make all" and then I did the cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/linux-2.6.0 and then I edited my grub/menu.lst file like I normally do.

Maybe I'm missing what you are trying to say.

When I type "grub-install" I get the following:

[root@tux rberry88]# grub-install
install_device not specified.
Usage: grub-install [OPTION] install_device
Install GRUB on your drive.

-h, --help              print this message and exit
  -v, --version           print the version information and exit
  --root-directory=DIR    install GRUB images under the directory DIR
                          instead of the root directory
  --grub-shell=FILE       use FILE as the grub shell
  --no-floppy             do not probe any floppy drive
  --force-lba             force GRUB to use LBA mode even for a buggy
                          BIOS
  --recheck               probe a device map even if it already exists

INSTALL_DEVICE can be a GRUB device name or a system device filename.

Report bugs to <bug-grub@gnu.org>.
[root@tux rberry88]#

rberry88

#4 2004-02-07 03:38:59

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

Hmmm... well, usually lilo is installed when you do a make install in a kernel source directory.  But it looks like you didn't do that.

You have to pass grub-install an arg, just like it tells you to.  You want grub installed on the MBR of your hd0, so:

grub-install (hd0)

Don't be afraid to think a little when people give you suggestions.  That's the difference between someone I like helping and someone I don't wink

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#5 2004-02-07 14:27:55

rberry88

I guess I didn't understand the syntax of how to specify the correct drive after "grub-install". I did "grub" and then "root (hd0,2)" and then "setup (hd0)" and it said it installed successfully so I thought that would have taken care of it. I went back and read a better HOW-TO over at Gentoo's site that was a little more newbie friendly (read: I understood it quicker) and was able to get it all sorted out.

I did find that if I used a kernel that I downloaded from pacman is where I have this problem with Lilo's script (/sbin/lilo) being run at the end of the compile whereas, with the kernel(s) I've taken fresh from kernel.org I don't have this problem.

rberry88

#6 2004-02-07 15:22:27

Moo-Crumpus

From logical point of view, 'make install' is a part of 'make all'. Unfortunately, selecting grub as loader during installation procedure is not uninstalling lilo. And, unfortunately, running 'make all' or 'make install' will call the make procedure of tweaking lilo. The most painful is, that lilo is not configurated at all at this stage, therefore this procedure is failing, but it installs a broken lilo.

Be sure to do pacman -R lilo, if you decided to run grub as your favourite.

You will have the same result with kernel.orgs sources. I once have been cought in this trap, too.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#7 2004-02-07 15:27:47

sarah31
Website

well i used makepkg alot to rebuild my kernel and never had this issue. i don't see any lines in the PKGBUILDs that call lilo. and i am pretty sure that mkpkg or pacman do not call lilo. the default bootloader i thought was grub so there would be not reason to have any instructions to call lilo.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#8 2004-02-07 16:15:25

Moo-Crumpus

Details about what you do if you run "make all" or "make install".

#!/bin/sh
#
# arch/i386/boot/install.sh
#
# This file is subject to the terms and conditions of the GNU General Public
# License.  See the file "COPYING" in the main directory of this archive
# for more details.
#
# Copyright (C) 1995 by Linus Torvalds
#
# Adapted from code in arch/i386/boot/Makefile by H. Peter Anvin
#
# "make install" script for i386 architecture
#
- snip -

if [ -x /sbin/lilo ]; then /sbin/lilo; else /etc/lilo/install; fi

Therefore, no surprise, if you had lilo on your machine, this script still does his job.
Remove lilo, and your soul is safed. Don't forget to do pacman -Sf grub, to get it it again.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

#9 2004-02-07 16:22:07

sarah31
Website

well then there you go. he did say he ran make all (which the PKGBUILD does not ).

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

Board footer