You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-26 18:29:15

MariusK

[SOLVED] Booting unreliable with Ryzen 3 and LUKS

Hello,

a few days ago I swapped the Intel i5 2500k in my system to a Ryzen 3700X on a X570 board. About 4 out of 5 times booting the system fails:

Just after grub finishes, the screen seems to be stuck showing

Starting version 242.84-1-arch

instead of prompting for the encryption password. However, after a minute or two it will show

ERROR: Failed to open encryption mapping: The device UUID=[...] is not a LUKS volume and the crypto= parameter was not specified

and after another minute the system will reboot. One out of five times the system boots just fine (as it did before I switched boards).

The setup is pretty standard (essentially taken from the wiki with encrypted root and unencrypted /boot, no EFI..) but I will happily provide any details necessary.

EDIT: Solution: plug boot medium in different SATA slot.

Last edited by MariusK (2019-07-27 08:56:16)

#2 2019-07-27 03:25:20

Pse

Re: [SOLVED] Booting unreliable with Ryzen 3 and LUKS

Hmm, I'm on a Ryzen 3600X and a X570 board with LUKS for root (no LVM). Everything is running fine. What bootloader are you using?

#3 2019-07-27 06:38:02

frostschutz

doesn't it drop you to a shell?

dmesg of failed boot vs. successful boot would be interesting

remove 'quiet' option, add debug, 'rd.debug=1', ... there's a wiki page somewhere on how to add verbosity to the early boot process

#4 2019-07-27 08:54:56

MariusK

Thanks for the advice. I went ahead and enabled all those boot messages. Booting gets stuck at :: Triggering uevents... and the following error starts appearing several times

ahci 000:26:00.0: AHCI controller unavailable!

Googling that gives plenty results. I verified that the SSD firmware is up to date. I then read that, on a different board, there are two different kinds of sata ports (Asmedia and AMD), and that one should not use the Asmedia port. The board that I have (MSI X570-A PRO) apparently only has one type (all ports have the same color/description anyway). I still went ahead and plugged the SSD in a different port and have now booted about 10 times without problems.

#5 2019-07-27 09:34:17

frostschutz

unfortunately in general, sata ports can go bad just like sata cables :-/ perhaps try that port with different drive, different cable and see how it goes...

the asmedia (1061 or 1062) is the cheapest sata chipset out there but that does not mean it's entirely unreliable ... okay it crashes Linux with cd drives, until you add `libata.atapi_passthru16=0` to the kernel parameters then it's fine, but other than that big_smile

I used it with great success in Linux, i mean it's just $5 for a card with 2 sata ports, works for large drives, works with port multiplier, ... - provided you have unused/useless PCIE-ports, can't complain too much about it.

I've certainly never seen "AHCI controller unavailable" before, but if you have such a thing and can confirm its a mainboard defect not solvable with bios update, and you want to be able to use all ports eventually, then perhaps consider a return or warranty replacement?

why does every new hardware platform have such strange issues sad

Last edited by frostschutz (2019-07-27 09:35:10)

Board footer