You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-04 13:09:30

clownfish

[SOLVED] powernowd, cpudyn do steps too often

hi!
the question is about this hardware: Acer Travelmate 290LMi (Processor: Pentium M 1.3GHz)

i gave powernowd and cpudyn a try, but both of them, wether running allone or both together don't work as they should:
1) if i don't step it down manually by switching to 600MHz in the gnome-panel cpu-control after gnome-startup has finished, it just stays with 1.3GHz (which it probably needs to start gnome).

2) it just uses 600MHz and 1.3GHZ (according to the gnome-panel applet). why doesn't it use the steps between?

3) another point is, that it steps to often. for example, just scrolling in firefox causes the cpu to work at 1.3GHz.

i remember that cpu-scaling worked well in ubuntu, i think ubuntu uses powernowd. are there any profiles or any configurations which need to be done?

thanks in advice!

[EDIT:] just solved it by deactivating cpufreqd, cpufreq and acpi daemons, onliy powernowd running. it uses all the steps and keeps the freq down on the lower limit if not more is needed by the desktop.

P.S.: i'm new to arch! downloaded the ISOs at university but configured it at home with an isdn connection...xorg can be installed from cd (if you get it working as local repository, was a bit confusing). but downloading gdm, gnome and gnome-extra requires a couple of hours... :? ...while waiting i worked out a strategy to get rid of the mosquitos in my room and for "pacman -Syu" i'm planning to build an anti-mosquito-base-fortress with a magazine store to squish them using the multi-squish feature (one paper in each hand)... lol

Board footer