You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-29 19:29:34

elkami

[SOLVED] No laptop external screen detected

Hi,

I have a fresh install on a laptop with an intel 630 integrated graphics controller and a GTX1060M graphics controller. The problem is that xrandr does not output anything about the external screens (and the screens are not found by other tools either). xrandr only detects the laptop integrated eDP1 screen :

eDP1 connected primary 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 340mm x 190mm
   1920x1080     60.01*+  59.93  
   1680x1050     59.95    59.88  

It does not contain any line about another output, not even a disconnected output such as:

HDMI1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

A screen is plugged to the laptop HDMI port and a second screen is connected to a USB-C to HDMI cable.

About the drivers, xf86-video-intel is installed, the 'lspci -v' outputof the intel chip is:

Kernel driver in use: i915
Kernel modules: i915

I tried several things for the nvidia chip :

• Install nothing for this chip

• Use nouveau but with this driver, 'lspci' or 'xrandr' freeze and make the computer shutdown properly after few seconds. (I have the 700 lines Xorg.0.log if you think that would help, but there is no relevant explicit errors). The nouveau module is blacklisted for now.

• Use the nvidia proprietary driver and bumblebee (mainly for test purpose)

• Some dubious xorg hacks but I kept no trace

The BIOS only offers two options about the graphical configuration : "discrete" or "MSHybrid", I use MSHybrid.

I know I should provide more information to help you help me but honestly, I don't know which one.

I tried an Ubuntu ISO an a USB dongle: the HDMI output works. The USB-C HDMI output is detected by xrandr but not by the GUI display configuration tool. The Ubuntu OS uses i915 as the intel module and nouveau and nvidiafb as the nvidia module (lspci -v).

Where should I look please?

Best regards,
Mickael

Last edited by elkami (2019-07-30 18:52:43)

#3 2019-07-30 18:51:24

elkami

Re: [SOLVED] No laptop external screen detected

Hi,

Thank you seth, I had to play with intel-virtual-output indeed. Digging in the links you provided made me find other useful posts.
The last step was to follow this stackexchange post to customize /etc/bumblebee/xorg.conf.nvidia and the Xorg configuration file .
I still have issues with the thunderbolt to HDMI adapter or the USB-C to HDMI adapter but that's another thing.

Thanks again, I'm starting to enjoy the life again.
Mickael

Board footer