You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-04 18:02:41

detto

is dbus the problem?

Ok this is the second (!) time i had to reinstall arch because after starting it, ive seen that dbus didnt start or made problems to start (ive seen s.th. like "/var/run/dbus.pid" its pretty fast going away and i see the login prompt then :? ).

Usually i get my gdm screen then, but that didnt happen today. It showed me the command line login prompt with host = none, so it looks like "detto@(none)" and i couldnt use sudo anymore. but checking the sudoers file or modifiying any other important config file wasnt possible because root account was disabled and well sudo not possible as just mentioned sad

So i was stuck with no working system and live cd is not possible iirc because of disabled root / only-sudo-root .

I cant really imagine why or how this might be a problem with dbus, but both times this happend to me now i noticed those errors about it starting.

Atm im in fresh installed arch with gnome+gdm and so far everythings fine.
But setting up sudo or even reboot doesnt appeal to me now cause maybe ive overlooked s.th. in files like /etc/hosts or configures something worng, i dont know.

Could anybody give quick look about the files and maybe tell me whats goin on / im doin wron here?! :?

thx in advance!

cheers,
detto

/etc/hosts

#
# /etc/hosts: static lookup table for host names
#

# <ip>  <hostname>   <hostname>
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   myBox

# End of file

parts from /etc/rc.conf

HOSTNAME="myBox"
DAEMONS=(syslog-ng acpid cpudyn network crond dbus hal fam alsa mpd gdm)

#2 2006-09-04 18:44:48

detto

Re: is dbus the problem?

Well, i think i'll try it and reboot. Just hoping it will work :x

#3 2006-09-05 12:32:04

detto

This isn't fun posting on my on thread, does no one has a clue or a hint :?: Noone can help me? sad

#4 2006-09-05 13:05:28

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Why is root disabled?

#5 2006-09-05 13:08:41

detto

Ive changed/dsiabled it with "sudo passwd -l root" as mentioned in the wiki entry about setting up sudo. I thought disabling it wouldn harm if i have root acces with sudo.

The problem just is that ive got no host ( = "(none)" ) after the boot and somehow this had to be occured, i dont believe in bad magic there must be a reason for this and thats what im missing here, the feeling of the control sad

#6 2006-09-05 13:16:40

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

There are good reasons for not removing root access.  Does it take a genius to realize that if you rely on sudo, and sudo screws up, then you're screwed too?

I'm also confused about the actual problem...your host name is not being set or dbus not starting or both?  What is actually broken?

#7 2006-09-05 13:27:22

detto

dtw wrote:

There are good reasons for not removing root access.  Does it take a genius to realize that if you rely on sudo, and sudo screws up, then you're screwed too?

Mh ye, and thats the way i'll do it now, keep root with a strong pw that i know, better way roll

dtw wrote:

I'm also confused about the actual problem...your host name is not being set or dbus not starting or both?  What is actually broken?

Thats the part im asking myself or better said where to begin to search for :?
Dbus couldn start becasue the error was iirc(!) that /var/run/dbus.pid already existed or couldnt be created or the like.
Why my hostname screwed up and showed me "(none)" instead of "(myBox)" isnt clear to me.
One thing ive forgot to mention is that ive a sepearate partition for "/var" with reiserfs (my root partition is ext3). I also removed tmpfs frpm my fstab and typed in "/" : ln -s /var/tmp /tmp" .
I guess there is somehow the problem, but ive got this info from board and thought might be ok roll

edit: to make it clearer, i think my writing was a bit confusing roll
... i linked my /tmp to /var/tmp (which already existed, thats normal i guess) and removed the tmpfs entry from my /etc/fstab.

Board footer