You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-06 17:59:00

Rinkke

Gnome settings problem

Hello everyone,

new on here so sorry if this went to the wrong subforum...

So I switched from Pantheon back to GNOME recently and noticed that gnome-control-center wouldn't start. Starting it from the command line gave the following error:

gnome-control-center

(gnome-control-center:5093): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: 14:36:58.913: Settings schema 'org.gnome.desktop.privacy' does not contain a key named 'disable-camera'
Trace/Breakpoint ausgelöst (Speicherabzug geschrieben

Sorry, last line is in German, but I think you can still understand it.

Since I am in no way emotionally attached to my De configuration, I tried solving the problem running

rm -rf .gnome .gnome2 .gconf .gconfd .metacity .cache .dbus .dmrc .mission-control .thumbnails ~/.config/dconf/user ~.compiz*

to simply reset all confugration files.

It worked at first. However, when I tried to access the "Privacy settings" tab in gnome control center, it crashed. Trying to start it again produced the same error message.
I think the error has something to do with glib2.0. My personal (probably rather noobish) theory is that glib "looks" for a key named "disable-camera" which isn't present in gcc configuration, so it crashes when it cannot find it.
Furthermore, I believe this being due to the fact that I had the pantheon settings manager installed. I think I read somewhere that it uses gcc as base so I imagine that pantheon somehow added a key that gcc doesn't know.

Could that be the issue? If so, is there some way to "tell glib" not to look for said key anymore? I do not have a built in camera since it is a desktop PC, so if I want to use one I plug in my USB webcam (oldschool I know lol)

Ofc my system is not broken by any means, but it is still kind of annoying, so any help is greatly appreciated. I posted this in the German forums as well, but have not received a reply as of yet.

Thank you all for your help!

cheers
Rinkke

#2 2019-08-09 01:58:45

glitsj16

Re: Gnome settings problem

Hi Rinkke,

The error message you're seeing suggests that files from the gsettings-desktop-schemas package aren't (fully) available somehow. Never used Pantheon, so I can't judge whether or not it is to blame here. In any case, part of that package is a file called /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/org.gnome.desktop.privacy.gschema.xml, which does have the key 'disable-camera' mentioned in the error. I suggest double-checking the status of that package and the specified file and reinstalling it when something seems missing.

Hope this helps,
glitsj16

Board footer