You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-09 17:47:43

eWZJ+qD6ypvTiIRhrQS+RSddM

[slvd]Is there a notification daemon that fully supports the fdo spec?

So I'm using a library that uses dbus to send notifications. However, according to the library author, it may be that none of the notification servers out there support the "sound-name" hint as specified by the spec. It seems like dunst does not support this either. Does anyone know of an implementation that supports this part of the spec? I've tried all the standalone ones but none of them seem to work. Am I missing a package or something? I'm just using plain i3-gaps without any DE installed.

SOLUTION:
The answer is no.

Last edited by eWZJ+qD6ypvTiIRhrQS+RSddM (2019-08-09 19:36:50)

#2 2019-08-09 18:21:18

progandy

Re: [slvd]Is there a notification daemon that fully supports the fdo spec?

It should be pretty trivial to implement in dunst if you want with gsound or directly with libcanberra. Advertise the sound capability, read and store the hints, play the sound when the notification is displayed, and then mark or remove played sound hints.

Last edited by progandy (2019-08-09 18:21:32)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#3 2019-08-09 19:01:32

progandy wrote:

It should be pretty trivial to implement in dunst if you want with gsound or directly with libcanberra. Advertise the sound capability, read and store the hints, play the sound when the notification is displayed, and then mark or remove played sound hints.

Do you mean that I should fork or open a PR? I do really like dunst, but unfortunately I have no experience with C so that would probably take several months for me.

#4 2019-08-09 19:13:22

progandy

eWZJ+qD6ypvTiIRhrQS+RSddM wrote:

Do you mean that I should fork or open a PR? I do really like dunst, but unfortunately I have no experience with C so that would probably take several months for me.

Yes, that is what I meant. For a PR you first have to fork as well, though. Maybe you can ask kajzersoze for help?

To play sound-name with an external command instead of adding a compile-time dependency you can execute the "canberra-gtk-play" binary.

Last edited by progandy (2019-08-09 19:23:36)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#5 2019-08-09 19:28:38

progandy wrote:

Yes, that is what I meant. For a PR you first have to fork as well, though. Maybe you can ask kajzersoze for help?

To play sound-name with an external command instead of adding a compile-time dependency you can execute the "canberra-gtk-play" binary.

Thanks for the advice, I'll learn some C and open a PR sometime in the future.

Board footer