You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-19 13:28:55

vintologi

Switching to arch (from manjaro)

So how do i best do this, i am not the only one using the laptop so i do not want to fuck anything up.

It shouldn't be too difficult to make the transition, what's the best way to do this?

gpu: nvidia 840m

#2 2019-08-19 13:31:21

hcjl

Re: Switching to arch (from manjaro)

#3 2019-08-19 13:39:20

vintologi

Do i really have to re-install everything to make the switch?

#4 2019-08-19 13:40:46

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Yes. There is no way to convert a Manjaro installation to a Arch installation, as part of what makes an Arch Linux installation Arch Linux, is the installation procedure.

If you haven't installed your system as per the Installation Guide, then it isn't Arch, and it isn't supported by the Arch community. So the only way to move from Manjaro to Arch, is to follow the aforementioned installation guide.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#5 2019-08-19 13:40:50

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

If you have a home partition, you could leave that be so all of your users' files would still be there.  Some configs might cause issues though.

But yes, if you want arch linux, you need to install arch linux.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2019-08-19 14:52:00

vintologi

Trilby wrote:

If you have a home partition, you could leave that be so all of your users' files would still be there.  Some configs might cause issues though.

I do not have a home partitition atm so i would have to repartition using gparted, shouldn't be too difficult.

#7 2019-08-19 15:25:17

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Mod note: Not a pacman/upgrade issue, moving to NC.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#8 2019-08-19 17:30:35

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

vintologi wrote:
Trilby wrote:

I do not have a home partitition atm so i would have to repartition using gparted, shouldn't be too difficult.

No need to repartition,
just delete everything except /home.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#9 2019-08-19 17:58:14

sitquietly

vintologi wrote:
Trilby wrote:

So don't make the same mistake of "putting all your eggs in one basket" again as you made when you installed Manjaro.  If you had created a spare partition you would be able to leisurely install archlinux into your spare partition while continuing to use manjaro.  In other words you can partition your disk somewhat like this now:

sda1:   /boot/efi      500 MB
sda2:   swap            4 GB
sda3:   /             25 GB
sda4:  /altroot       25 GB
sda5:  /home       (the rest)

You can install manjaro into one "root" partition and arch into the other, or use the alternate as a second backup arch installation (it is worth the small amount of disk space and much more reliable as a fallback than struggling with btrfs snapshots.

Always create two system partitions!  If you don't know how to utilize the spare right now you will come to appreciate it in the future.

(25 GB is probably more than adequate as a system partition -- e.g. my install uses 9.6 GB on / with all my usual applications, cinnamon desktop, and sagemath stuff.)

#10 2021-01-11 17:49:51

Youju

WorMzy wrote:

Yes. There is no way to convert a Manjaro installation to a Arch installation, as part of what makes an Arch Linux installation Arch Linux, is the installation procedure.

If you haven't installed your system as per the Installation Guide, then it isn't Arch, and it isn't supported by the Arch community. So the only way to move from Manjaro to Arch, is to follow the aforementioned installation guide.

Is'nt it possible to just install Arch over Manjaro with pacstrap? Than all packages and files should be just fine... But I'm no expert neither I tried it myself.

#11 2021-01-11 19:16:48

RagnarOlafsson

Youju wrote:
WorMzy wrote:

Is'nt it possible to just install Arch over Manjaro with pacstrap? Than all packages and files should be just fine... But I'm no expert neither I tried it myself.

It is in theory possible, however you will soon encounter many mismatches in other packages and collisions. Packages are not exactly the same. Mixing multiple operating systems, even based on one of them, is generally not a good idea, imho.

Board footer