You are not logged in.

#1 2019-08-20 17:50:24

TheDevKiller

[SOLVED] UEFI : GRUB entry disappears every time

Hey!

I have installed Arch yesterday and I installed GRUB of course. The problem is that I must use my smartphone to boot into Arch Live (I use DriveDroid) and re-install GRUB everyday. If I don't do that, it just boots into Windows, and in BIOS there's no GRUB entry, just a Windows one. I don't really know when and why that happens, I think that happens when I shutdown my computer and not when I reboot it.

Disks configuration : http://dpaste.com/2F1GQGF

inxi -Fxz : http://dpaste.com/2N1RF44
It is not shown on the inxi, but I use i3, this information is not useful at all here anyway.

Laptop model, firmware version : see inxi above

GRUB version : grub 2:2.04-2

GRUB configuration : http://dpaste.com/051VQZM

How I install GRUB :

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/efi --bootloader-id=GRUB
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

I tried to put the maximum informations above, but, of course, I could have missed some things. If you need more informations, obviously, ask me I'll try to answer you as fast as I can. Btw sorry my english is not very good I'm french, I think I'm understandable anyway (I hope).

Last edited by TheDevKiller (2019-08-22 11:26:19)

#2 2019-08-20 18:13:49

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [SOLVED] UEFI : GRUB entry disappears every time

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2019-08-20 20:21:10

TheDevKiller

I had kept Fast boot enabled ... I keep this thread open a few days in case the problem was not Fast boot, but thank you for your answer and sorry to post shitty threads like that

#4 2019-08-21 10:24:50

TheDevKiller

Secure boot -> OK
Fast boot -> OK
Windows boot manager in first -> That's the only option anyway
Tell the Windows boot loader to run a different EFI application -> I didn't really understand but I could try, even though I think it will not work as there's no GRUB entry
You can set a startup script in Windows that ensures that the boot order is set correctly every time you boot Windows -> That's useless as GRUB entry disappears without even booting into Windows

As you should have understand, fastboot was not the problem and the entry keep disappearing.

#5 2019-08-21 10:29:56

V1del
Forum Moderator

Check if you get an option to manually add an entry from within your EFI. These ones should persist, alternatively install GRUB with the --removable option as that will populate the fallback path and replace the fallback Windows boot loader (you will still be able to boot Windows via the normal EFI binary you can launch via GRUB)

FWIW options 3 and 4 should work as they are not inherently relying on an NVRAM entry but you simply pass the location of a different binary. These are two distinct concepts.

#6 2019-08-21 10:42:44

TheDevKiller

Ok I already added an option manually with the path of GRUB and two things.
1. I didn't work
2. It was gone after a reboot

I'll try the --removable option, and if it doesn't work I'll try the 4th option

EDIT : When I use the --removable option, the entry is just not created.

EDIT 2 : I don't know how I could do the 4th option because I have Linux on SSD and Windows on HDD and the SSD doesn't seem to be mounted when Windows boots

EDIT 3 : I'm not sure I have correctly understood. When you talk about the 4th option, you mean doing bcdedit /set "{bootmgr}" path "\EFI\path\to\app.efi", right?

EDIT 4 : As rEFInd is made specifically for EFI I tried it, it's not better, I stay on GRUB

EDIT 5 (Yes there begins to be a lot of edits xD) : I now use the Windows's EFI partition, I think it should work, I'll see

EDIT 6 : It seems to work but GRUB doesn't mount hd1 which contains /, I'll do some researches and if I don't find anything I'll open a new thread. Thank you for your help

Last edited by TheDevKiller (2019-08-22 11:25:54)

Board footer