You are not logged in.

#1 2019-09-05 14:17:22

noobr

[SOLVED] Vaio Vpccw14fx - temperature

Hi, I've searched the forum but didn't find any similar topic so...

neofetch output:
Host: VPCCW14FX C6024TZG
Kernel: 5.2.11-arch1-1-ARCH
Packages: 550 (pacman)
Shell: bash 5.0.9
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 (2) @ 2.534GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 230M
Memory: 233MiB / 3911MiB

what is going on:
I have this old laptop laying around here, and I'm using it for file sharing basically (transmission daemon and a samba for home network). -- always using powertop  on both setups--
the thing is.. when I don't install any graphic interface (i use i3wm from larbs.xyz) the # sensors command return always a temp. of at least 60 C and the fan is starting to scream (it can go up to 100 C and a very noisy fan)
even installed the nvidia340xx from the aur on this terminal only setup...
then I format it (again) and go from zero(this was a test), but this time with the graphical interface, and of course, the nvidia 340xx from the aur
**I'm just SSHing into it and I don't need a graphic interface.
Now this time with graphic interface installed when I ssh into it the temperature is much lower, sometimes even a 45 C and you can notice the fan also running slower.

I'd like to have a terminal only setup, but with a lower temp (like the ones I get when working with a graphic interface installed) , can you help me?

Last edited by noobr (2019-09-06 13:10:42)

#2 2019-09-05 14:36:56

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: [SOLVED] Vaio Vpccw14fx - temperature

If it's supposed to be terminal only, why are you installling the nvidia driver in the first place?

#3 2019-09-05 14:42:15

seth

You could try booting it "nomodeset", but if no driver takes proper control over the GPU it might run on full steam all the time…

#4 2019-09-05 15:27:18

noobr

V1del wrote:

If it's supposed to be terminal only, why are you installling the nvidia driver in the first place?

debugging purposes... (compare if it was a lack of driver when terminal only) - [X] not the case

but thanks anyway for the time dedicated

Last edited by noobr (2019-09-05 15:32:14)

#5 2019-09-05 15:28:06

noobr

seth wrote:

You could try booting it "nomodeset", but if no driver takes proper control over the GPU it might run on full steam all the time…

I will try it, then I come back here... thanks for the suggestion

#6 2019-09-06 00:20:38

noobr

seth wrote:

attempt 1 --- tried but no succes... first I added nomodeset nvidia.modeset=0 to /etc/defalut/grub and regenerated the grub file with grub-mkconfig -o....
as the wiki states, no success.

attempt2 --- the same default/grub but now plus i915.modeset=0... no success

guess I will just install the graphical interface and let it do the magic....

but thank you all who reserved sometime to help me

#7 2019-09-06 13:09:53

noobr

well well, I did a thorough search on the forum and came across this very old post on this link https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=136933
the thing is, I have to use X to start the NVIDIA driver anyway, but I'm leaving screen off anyway and using like I intended to... guess this is it for now

BRAXS69 wrote:

Clearly quite a dilemma, I recently bought a laptop and had a very hard time with overheating issues so I know the headache.
0.) Install the nvidia preparatory driver, it will give you the best performance and power saving functionality  then the opensource driver (also if you uninstall both then the nvidia chip will just run at full power with no power-saving of any kind  eg. heat). which took me a while to click in my head when i was trying to disable my OPTIMUS chip until its better supported. Unfortunately you'll have to look to someone else to setup proper power saving with the nvidia driver. (desm0tes seems to know his stuff)   

1.) append "pcie_aspm=force" to you're kernel parameters, it really does make a difference mainly because it forces the kernel's power management for the PCIE devcies.
     Heres a example of what my boot line looks like you can pretty much ignore all the other options except "pcie_aspm=force" but possibly "apm=1 acpi_osi=Linux" (unsure as yet if it makes any real difference)

# (0) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux
root   (hd0,5)                       #dont get rid of the ro 
kernel /vmlinuz-linux root=/dev/sda7 ro usbcore.autosuspend=1 apm=1 pcie_aspm=force acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1
initrd /initramfs-linux.img

2.) governing you cpu clocks I know you said you gone through the wiki but it never hurts to recheck, run "cpufreq-info" in a terminal to check if its running correctly.
    it should display infomation for every cpu core on the system take note of the "current CPU frequency" and the governor for each core its possible that not all the cores are setup for powersaving.
    when the machine is doing nothing all the cores should report "current CPU frequency is 800 MHz." ( I think 800MHz is as low as it goes )

# Example of the cpufeq-info output.
[brett@re-l ~]$ cpufreq-info 
cpufrequtils 008: cpufreq-info (C) Dominik Brodowski 2004-2009
Report errors and bugs to cpufreq@vger.kernel.org, please.
analyzing CPU 0:
  driver: acpi-cpufreq
  CPUs which run at the same hardware frequency: 0 1 2 3
  CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 0
  maximum transition latency: 10.0 us.
  hardware limits: 800 MHz - 2.30 GHz
  available frequency steps: 2.30 GHz, 2.30 GHz, 1.80 GHz, 1.60 GHz, 1.40 GHz, 1.20 GHz, 1000 MHz, 800 MHz
  available cpufreq governors: conservative, userspace, ondemand, performance
  current policy: frequency should be within 800 MHz and 2.30 GHz.
                  The governor "conservative" may decide which speed to use
                  within this range.
  current CPU frequency is 800 MHz.
analyzing CPU 1:
  CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 1
  available frequency steps: 2.30 GHz, 2.30 GHz, 1.80 GHz, 1.60 GHz, 1.40 GHz, 1.20 GHz, 1000 MHz, 800 MHz
                  within this range.
analyzing CPU 2:
  CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 2
                  within this range.
analyzing CPU 3:
  CPUs which need to have their frequency coordinated by software: 3
                  within this range.

If it seems like cpufeq is not working double check you're "/etc/rc.conf" file to check that you have the right kernel modules loaded, and that you start the "cpufreq" daemon at boot.
since you have an I5 processor you can pretty much copy my modules "acpi-cpufreq cpufreq_ondemand cpufreq_conservative cpufreq_powersave cpufreq_userspace"
and be sure to have the "cpufreq" daemon appended to you're DAEMONS list.

#
# /etc/rc.conf - Main Configuration for Arch Linux
#

OTHER OPTIONS 

# -----------------------------------------------------------------------
# HARDWARE
#
# MODULES: Modules to load at boot-up. Blacklisting is no longer supported.
#   Replace every !module by an entry as on the following line in a file in
#   /etc/modprobe.d:
#     blacklist module
#   See "man modprobe.conf" for details.
#
MODULES=(acpi-cpufreq cpufreq_ondemand cpufreq_conservative cpufreq_powersave cpufreq_userspace)

OTHER OPTIONS

# DAEMONS
#
# Daemons to start at boot-up (in this order)
#   - prefix a daemon with a ! to disable it
#   - prefix a daemon with a @ to start it up in the background
#
# If something other takes care of your hardware clock (ntpd, dual-boot...)
# you should disable 'hwclock' here.
#
DAEMONS=(hwclock syslog-ng dbus bluetooth networkmanager avahi-daemon ntpd netfs crond gdm cpufreq)

lastly with the cpufreq daemon check you're "/etc/conf.d/cpufreq" file it should have the "ondemand" governor selected which should look like this.

#configuration for cpufreq control

# valid governors:
#  ondemand, performance, powersave,
#  conservative, userspace
governor="ondemand"

# limit frequency range (optional)
# valid suffixes: Hz, kHz (default), MHz, GHz, THz
#min_freq="800MHz"
#max_freq="2.30GHz"

# use freq to set up the exact cpu frequency using it with userspace governor
#freq=

3.) Run powertop install the "powertop" package and run powertop as root. this tool well make recommendations on what power settings to enable on you're system it will even enable them for you temporally untill next boot and it will give you an idea how cool you can get you're system. After reading up and trying many options I've ended up getting around 5-6 hours of battery life and running almost dead cold X3

4.) setup laptop mode "https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Laptop_Mode_Tools", this will just about everything powertop recomends, I wont explain how to set it up mainly there just so much to cover... so follow the wiki.. sorry

[Other]
the last thing I'd recommend is just seeing you're BIOS/motherboard just isn't playing nice with the Linux power management (which i had this issue my laptop is a "ACER ASPIRE 5750G") I ended up needing to update my BIOS to get things to chill... OPTIMUS....
also it my be the staple answer that everyone gives but try googleing around to see if anyone with the same laptop as you is having the same problem.

[lastly]
when you're laptop boots you should hear the fan go at full speed, then when linux boots it should go near silent to nothing, at first that sound obvious but you'll instantly know the difference between linux power management working or not at all. If it does this then get hotter and hotter and the fan starts up again when you're machine isn't doing anything it probably means the nvidia chip isnt powersaving ( well that the first device that comes to mind ) or for whatever reason you're CPU is running at full power (which shouldn't be possible at this point).

I hope i've been of some help with you're problem, let me know how things progress.
-- Brett

Board footer